Headset or Headphone + Mic?

Scruffy90

The Logitech headsets are on sale and I am considering getting one seeing how my current set up (headphones + USB condenser mic) isn't ideal for chatting and gaming because my mic picks up every little sound around me. Would prefer something more directional and with some sort of mute toggle. Do you guys think the logitech headsets are worth it (considering the g430 or g35/930) or just pick up something like the Modmic and a USB sound card?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

For use during gaming a modmic would be better, for podcasting I'd reccomend a USB condenser mic

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

The Logitech headsets are on sale and I am considering getting one seeing how my current set up (headphones + USB condenser mic) isn't ideal for chatting and gaming because my mic picks up every little sound around me. Would prefer something more directional and with some sort of mute toggle. Do you guys think the logitech headsets are worth it (considering the g430 or g35/930) or just pick up something like the Modmic and a USB sound card?

I have a Logitech G930 and it is good. The 7.1 surround sound thing is kinda bull. It helps me on Arma 3 a lot. But obviously (I do not know why you would do this) but when listening to music it should be turned off because of crackles (but who listens to music with 7.1?!). Also, the surround sound is emulated through USB so it is not as good as normal (however it does work.).

They battery is amazing, I get about 10 hours on full charge (well for me it is). As well as the Logitech Gaming Software being great (for me, I know people have had problems with it). The 3 G Keys are useful for music to stop as well as the mute button/putting the mic in a vertical position to mute it. 

However, if you prefer or are not bothered about going for a wired headset then go for another Logitech one because I only got this because I needed a wireless one. 

Edit

The mic is not the best quality for using it for videos but like you said chatting in game/to friends it is perfect for. 

Also, there is a great feature for when you are too loud it will play back through the head set indicating that you are speaking/shouting really loud. (It is really useful because my friends get annoyed when I shout and it is too loud  :lol:.

@Tim Drake, you are kinda right. They are not the best quality by far. But for the price I got mine at £50 (and one of the best wireless headsets for that price at the time) it was worth it. I know some people have had bad experiences with Logitech headsets. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

For use during gaming a modmic would be better, for podcasting I'd reccomend a USB condenser mic

I am considering the modmic just because I dont want to buy a fourth set of cans. lol What about a usb sound card that I could plug the modmic and headphones into?

Also I have a condenser mic. I want to stop using it for chatting. People get annoyed that they could hear everything around me.

I have a Logitech G930 and it is good. The 7.1 surround sound thing is kinda bull. It helps me on Arma 3 a lot. But obviously (I do not know why you would do this) but when listening to music it should be turned off because of crackles (but who listens to music with 7.1?!). Also, the surround sound is emulated through USB so it is not as good as normal (however it does work.).

They battery is amazing, I get about 10 hours on full charge (well for me it is). As well as the Logitech Gaming Software being great (for me, I know people have had problems with it). The 3 G Keys are useful for music to stop as well as the mute button/putting the mic in a vertical position to mute it. 

However, if you prefer or are not bothered about going for a wired headset then go for another Logitech one because I only got this because I needed a wireless one. 

Edit

The mic is not the best quality for using it for videos but like you said chatting in game/to friends it is perfect for. 

Also, there is a great feature for when you are too loud it will play back through the head set indicating that you are speaking/shouting really loud. (It is really useful because my friends get annoyed when I shout and it is too loud  :lol:.

@Tim Drake, you are kinda right. They are not the best quality by far. But for the price I got mine at £50 (and one of the best wireless headsets for that price at the time) it was worth it. I know some people have had bad experiences with Logitech headsets. 

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I dont want yet another thing to charge lol. If I went this route I would probably end up with the g35's. I'm also not concerned about emulating surround. Do you use the programmable G keys?

Logitech headsets suck. They have terrible build quality from what I have heard.

HyperX Clouds are amazing

I have seen a lot of torn up Logitech headsets. It concerns me just a bit, but at their current prices, I may be ok with getting one. My thing is that if I get a dedicated headset for my computer, I don't want to spend much seeing as how I already have higher end headphones.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Getting separate headphones & mic will provide better quality 'n durability than any headset.

Already have headphones, what would you recommend for a mic? Also, do you recommend a usb sound card?

Already have headphones, what would you recommend for a mic? Also, do you recommend a usb sound card?

Try using a mod mic or something like that, for XLR mic's u'll need an amp or a mixer (because it needs more power to work). Usb connection will be just fine if u're experiencing any noise issues or just choosing between jack and usb.

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I dont want yet another thing to charge lol. If I went this route I would probably end up with the g35's. I'm also not concerned about emulating surround. Do you use the programmable G keys?

I do sometimes use G keys. But not a lot. The Mute is helpful though. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

@OP If you can find a deal on HyperX Clouds, please get them. They are pretty much the only accepted gaming headset by audiophiles.

I'll look out for them, but at their current price, I wont even consider them. The only reason I'm considering the Logitechs is because I could get my hands on a lot of them for <$60 . Realistically I would like to use my headphones and just get a separate mic boom mic of some sort, but its proving to be a bit trickier than getting a new headset.

Only if your onboard audio gives you an audible hum I'd go with that.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I have seen a lot of torn up Logitech headsets. It concerns me just a bit, but at their current prices, I may be ok with getting one. My thing is that if I get a dedicated headset for my computer, I don't want to spend much seeing as how I already have higher end headphones.

This is going to have to be something you decide. We can't weigh the options for you.

ModMic is better than buying a headset I would say, but plenty of other people dislike having two cables hanging off their head.

This is going to have to be something you decide. We can't weigh the options for you.

ModMic is better than buying a headset I would say, but plenty of other people dislike having two cables hanging off their head.

I guess the ModMic it is. My only concern with the second cable was getting it tagnled because 2 of my 3 headphones have coiled cables.

I guess the ModMic it is. My only concern with the second cable was getting it tagnled because 2 of my 3 headphones have coiled cables.

Put the cable of the modmic inside the coil of your headphone.

Storage Asustor AS7004T

Sennheiser HD 558 and Modmic 4.0 hands down.

I have a pair of 595's I haven't used in a while in the closet. Going to have to dust them off and get myself a modmic.

Like I told Tim Drake, I would like to avoid getting yet another pair of cans. I already have 4 pairs. The only reason I even considered the Logitech headsets is because most of them are <$60 at the moment.