Need help installing Linux onto my laptop

So I have this older laptop that I got off of Ebay. It has WIndows 7, runs it just fine for the most part, but I really want to install a Linux distro onto it because that should improve performance overall since Linux distros aren't too heavy weight when compared to Windows. 

I have an HP DV6810US (old, I know):

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv6810us-15/4505-3121_7-32909853.html

I tried to install Ubuntu onto it, and I was able to actually boot into Ubuntu, but I was getting really weird graphics problem. Basically to the point where I couldn't even use Ubuntu on my laptop.

So here's what i need your help with, do any of you guys know what's wrong? Is there a Linux distro that is compatible (like, no graphics issues like before) for my laptop?

COMIC SANS

What kind of graphical issues were you getting?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What kind of graphical issues were you getting?

I'll try to explain it the best I can.

The screen was overlapping itself all over the screen. Like...take half of your desktop wallpaper. Let's say the left side. Well instead of there being its own right side, it would mimic the left side and everything I would do.

That's really the best I can explain it.

:/

COMIC SANS

Ubuntu does have bugs with compatibility, there isn't much you can do. I know on my laptop for some reason any numbers wont work with ubuntu on my keypad

I personally love linux mint, I have never had an issue with it and I run it on some really low powered machines with no issues what-so ever, as you can see in my signature I also use it on my main gaming desktop too. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I'll try to explain it the best I can.

The screen was overlapping itself all over the screen. Like...take half of your desktop wallpaper. Let's say the left side. Well instead of there being its own right side, it would mimic the left side and everything I would do.

That's really the best I can explain it.

:/

So the right side would mirror the left side?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So the right side would mirror the left side?

Essentially, yes

COMIC SANS