Used 7990. Need help.

Vegetassj

Hi guys,

I can buy used 7990 for around 250 usd. Is it worth it ? I also checked the prices for r9 290, they seems to be on par. I will be mostly gaming on 1440p. I am in a process of building a gaming rig with other components being:

i7 4790k

Asus z97 Hero motherboard

16 GB 2400 Ghz Hyper-x Ram

GPU ?

I know this card is power hungry. Suggestions on how much Watts power supply do i need will be appreciated as well.

7990 is a dual 7970 / 280X. Its faster than the 290 but its also really loud. PSU should be atleast a solid 650 i'd say...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Hi guys,

I can buy used 7990 for around 250 usd. Is it worth it ? I also checked the prices for r9 290, they seems to be on par. I will be mostly gaming on 1440p. I am in a process of building a gaming rig with other components being:

i7 4790k

Asus z97 Hero motherboard

16 GB 2400 Ghz Hyper-x Ram

GPU ?

I know this card is power hungry. Suggestions on how much Watts power supply do i need will be appreciated as well.

You should check if it has been used for mining, i'd stay away from it if it was the case

If scaling doesnt work well or the game DOES NOT use crossfire, welcome to single gpu mode.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Its faster than the 290. But its loud, very power hungry and also can have scaling issues and worst case scenario the game you could be playing won't support crossfire. Since you are going to be playing at a resolution higher than 1080p the 4gb vram of the 290 can also come to play. The hd 7990 although marketed as '6gb' is only two 3gb hd 7970s which means that the 290 has an extra gb of vram, which can be helpful, especially in future titles. Oh and its also used, so there's that.

As long as it works fine and there isn't any serious damage to the card I would say that it's a fantastic deal.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Great deal. My 7990 was handling BF3 at 4K with no problems, so for 1440p you should be golden :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Overall, the card comes with its original box, manuals, etc. It's the Power Color version. The current owner is willing to demonstrate that the card is operating via TeamViewer.

About the heat/noise/throttling issues I made my research and found very useful tips what to do and what not. The card was not used for mining, If it was it would have be definitely big NO NO.