HDD to SSD

iWearKiltz

This topic has a few questions, so i'm going to number the questions so you can quickly refer to them if you can only answer 1 or 2 :)

so at the moment i have quite a large room, however i'm having to move to one a quarter the size of it, literally. i will only be able to fit my bed and desk and a chair in there so i have to space conscious, thus why im moving from a tower case to a mid tower. That's from an Inwin Maelstrom to a Fractal Design r4 w/ window. As i wont be able to move my room around much when im in there, i've decided to upgrade some key parts before i move in there, and so i've decided for an SSD. This SSD will be for a boot drive, and/or cache (though i dont know much about how to cache for a harddrive and even if its possible. cpu - fx6100, mobo m5a97).

Q1) can i cache a hdd with a ssd with amd?

Q2) what size drive should i go for booting(60/120gb)?

as far as i know, if the cpu and mobo dont change, windows will fresh install without hesitating onto the new ssd. this isn't so bad for me, though i would like confirmation (consider that Q3). normally when i look into new things i will follow a single manufacturer so i can understand how the said item works. so when i was learning about SSDs i followed samsung, so all i really know about is samsung when talking about SSDs. however i heard that they are reliable and a good brand to choose from;

Q4) should it be a samsung SSD and if so, 840, 840 pro or 830 based on price-to-performance ratio

thanks for reading and any additional questions i may have will be asked in the replies :)

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

1. Yes.
2. either or. Depends if you want games on it or not.
3. They are a good brand to choose from. All SSD's pretty much work the same. Samsung just has premium memory for them. If you read the word "Sandforce" on an SSD, stay away from it.
4. 840 is best price-performance I believe.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

http://www.techspot.com/review/515-crucial-adrenaline-ssd/

This may help you if you want to cache your hdd.

I recommend to go with 64gb ssd from cruical, but i wouldnt recommend you caching your ssd, i would not do that or just buy a hybrid solid state drive or even maybe raid 0 two ssd's

1. Yes.

3. They are a good brand to choose from. All SSD's pretty much work the same. Samsung just has premium memory for them. If you read the word "Sandforce" on an SSD, stay away from it.

Pretty much^

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

get a 90gig ssd minimum for your os or in a few months your gonna run out of room on it

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

i shall be getting a 120gb samsung 840 ssd :p

so when i do a fresh install of windows (using the same copy that i installed onto my hdd), will i encounter problems? like will it successfully register etc? afterall, all the components are the same..

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Linus just answered my own question: 

Spoiler

1. Yes.

ime staying away from sandforce can be really brutal to your data reliability if you are particular about this. sandforce drives are known for their performance and from my experience I surely would recommend this to my tech folks. Having said that, I always say please experience sandforce based SSDs on your own and share your experiences just like I am doing now :) FYI, I have kingston hyperx 3k 128GB SSD