Windows 10 / Program Compatibility

Go to solution Solved by ionbasa,

Hello

Honestly, I guess this is a sort of stupid question, but Windows 10 still is really a big mystery to me. I'd like to know if / what sort of programs would be able to run on Win 10. I understand probably none would, but I'm sure there is plenty of other information that may be useful. No, I don't intend to install any previews and no I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat for the release. I'm just curious., if not completely oblivious to a very obvious answer.

Thanks

Most if not all programs that were written/updated for Windows 7 and up should work no problem. Programs written for Vista also still work from my experience. 

I'm not sure about programs written for XP and before. I couldn't get most of my old XP and earlier games to run in Vista/7/8.x, and most also do not work on WIndows 10, but hey they never worked with Windows 7 either.

For your older programs/games, it might be a good idea to keep a VM around (like I do).

Hello

Honestly, I guess this is a sort of stupid question, but Windows 10 still is really a big mystery to me. I'd like to know if / what sort of programs would be able to run on Win 10. I understand probably none would, but I'm sure there is plenty of other information that may be useful. No, I don't intend to install any previews and no I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat for the release. I'm just curious., if not completely oblivious to a very obvious answer.

Thanks

"The FPS I got was this big!"

Most of applications and games that can run on Windows Vista, 7 or 8 should run just fine on Win10. For anything older, Compatibility mode will generally fix everything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Hello

Thanks

Most if not all programs that were written/updated for Windows 7 and up should work no problem. Programs written for Vista also still work from my experience. 

I'm not sure about programs written for XP and before. I couldn't get most of my old XP and earlier games to run in Vista/7/8.x, and most also do not work on WIndows 10, but hey they never worked with Windows 7 either.

For your older programs/games, it might be a good idea to keep a VM around (like I do).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Most programs that are compatible with 8 and 8.1 will run fine on 10 as well. The problems, if any, won't be anywhere like they were when vista came out.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Since Windows hasn't really changed its core structure since Vista, and Vista included compatibility modes for going all the way back to 95, every program since Vista SHOULD work unless it was coded by an idiot, and even programs prior to Vista will most likely work, although some will need administrator rights to run properly and others may run into unforeseen errors that compatibility mode won't solve.

Okay, thank you.

"The FPS I got was this big!"