I need help choosing a new notebook

pablo-196

Hello everyone, i have read many reviews and documentation and i just cant make a choice. i am caught between two notebook, the Lenovo y50 UHD 4K display with 16gb and the 860m 2gb of vram, and the MSI GE70 from upgrade kings that will bring 16 gb of RAM and the 860m aswell. here are the links

Lenovo y50: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Y50-Touch-Laptop-Computer/dp/B00LT1JQ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425347995&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+y50+uhd

MSI GE70: http://www.amazon.com/GE70-Apache-Pro-012-i7-4700HQ-7200rpm/dp/B00J9GQBQI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425348102&sr=8-3&keywords=MSI+GE70

i am Also open to suggestion, ive been hearing alot about the eurocom.

Thank you

My budget is indeed around 1,200 maxing out at 1350, i plan on doing some sort of gaming.. skyrim dying light that type of game .. i was also planning on adding an msata drive to the GE70 if i was to purchase it

For gaming I would go with the MSI if you can get the SSD with it, If you can get a desktop for gaming they are better priced and run better.

Well I have a Desktop that is my main gaming rig, this is for traveling and on the go stuff..

im also open to any other suggestions

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but I'd really consider the macbook pro 13 inch.  Ultra portable, great screen, great keyboard, snappy, and OSX is a better laptop OS then Windows due to gestures and spaces.  It can't really game, but I like playing FTL and Binding of Isaac on it, as well as Dolphin.

Thank everyone for the help. as far as the mac i dont really think its my thing :/ not a big fan. and  does that one gb of the gpu make a difference for gaming?

The extra GB will come in handy but to be honest it's just the fact the 870m's core is a little stronger. Here is the benchmarks of the 860m for comparison against the previously linked 870m ones.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

Anytime the frames dip below 30 they mark it in red / yellow. The 870m stays out of sub 30 more while gaming at 1080p. Tinkering with the settings a bit will give you 1080p 60 fps once you find the balance. 

D2ultima i dont need the game to run on 4k just the pc to be able to run it on med to high with ok fps..

D2ultima i dont need the game to run on 4k just the pc to be able to run it on med to high with ok fps..

So you're going to run the game on low-med graphics at sub-native resolution because you want to buy a 4K screen?

Why?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thanks for all your help tmlhalo i have ruled out the y50 now im in between the GE70 and the Dominator, idk how i feel about the battery life of the dominator but i do love the GPU aspect of it, as for the GE70 it has weaker graphic but i would have the ssd and the 16 gb  of ram with a little longer battery life. what would you do personally?

I didn't / don't see a SSD in either MSI. Just the Lenovo. The Dominator has 300 MHz / .3 GHz higher clock on the I7, and the 870m. Its cons are 8 GBs of ram vs 16 GBs and a shorter battery life probably due to the beefier hardware. 

In my opinion the ram isn't much of an issue. 8 GBs is still a good amount except for the most brutal of multitaskers. It is also an easly upgradable part while the same can't be said for the GPU. The battery could be be bad but ultimately depends how often you are away from a socket. I would personally give the edge to the dominator because 5 years from now I would see the 870m fairing better. 

TMlhalo thanks for all the help i think the dominator will be it, i might use the extra 100$ do upgrade the ra or maybe the to an ssd!