Can't shrink partition enough to fit on ssd

Macnch3eze
Go to solution Solved by Beltboy,

Check the size of your Virtual Memory and system restore points these are both "un-movable files" so once windows is running you can't move the files to another part of the disk to shrink the partition they are on.

I recently bought a Intel 730 240 gb ssd and can't shrink the volume of my current 500gb drive to a small enough to just clone the drive. it keeps going down to 238 gb(properties of drive says 166gb of 238 free) and the ssd only has 227gb avaliable help

Then delete stuf on the HDD, or save it on a cloud service (Dropbox, Onedrive, etc) or external HDD.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

defrag your 250 and then shink it abit more.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Tried defraging it a and it does defragmetio it but then it says I can't shrink any more also I have 166 gb free

You can try running CCleaner and have it remove some data including windows updates files which can sometimes take up a fair amount of space. I also use a program called WinDirStat which will look at your current drive and show what is using the most space which helps in getting rid of un-needed files.

You can also remove one of the larger games and then reinstall once done. These are all things I have done for my self and friends who moved to SSDs.

Check the size of your Virtual Memory and system restore points these are both "un-movable files" so once windows is running you can't move the files to another part of the disk to shrink the partition they are on.