Back Plates

Tetters

I have just bought and installed an EVGA back plate for my GPU which has increased its kerb-appeal big-time. A breeze to install and apart from almost dropping the card when I was about to put it back in the tower it went smoothly from start to finish.

One thing that really surprised me was how warm it does get and thus how much heat comes out of the PCB of the card. Obviously I wouldn't touch the PCB normally so I had no idea how warm it actually got.

I have always wondered why the marketing geeks at the manufacturers dont push for more back-plates to fitted as standard as there is a lot of advertising space there and does increase the look of the card considerably.

Just my rambling observations - happy Sunday night one and all

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

People want them and ask for them - EVGA offers them seperately to get more monay.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Things cost money to make and take away from the profit margin, It's also not been hugely demanded until the last couple of years so vendors are still catching up to the trends :)

I have just bought and installed an EVGA back plate for my GPU which has increased its kerb-appeal big-time. A breeze to install and apart from almost dropping the card when I was about to put it back in the tower it went smoothly from start to finish.

One thing that really surprised me was how warm it does get and thus how much heat comes out of the PCB of the card. Obviously I wouldn't touch the PCB normally so I had no idea how warm it actually got.

I have always wondered why the marketing geeks at the manufacturers dont push for more back-plates to fitted as standard as there is a lot of advertising space there and does increase the look of the card considerably.

Just my rambling observations - happy Sunday night one and all

Does it increase your ability to overclock the memory at all now that the chips on the top of the PCB have cooling?

Does it increase your ability to overclock the memory at all now that the chips on the top of the PCB have cooling?

In theory .. yes. I haven't done any overclocking yet, I will do in the future, but I am very impressed with the static cooling of the plate. The fans spin way less until you are actually stressing the card, I have two 140 intakes in the front of the case blowing over the GPU.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

People want them and ask for them - EVGA offers them seperately to get more monay.

$18 on Amazon.com

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any demonstrated improvement in overclocking ability after putting on a backplate. I could care less what my card looks like because I don't have a windowed case and even if I did, I don't find a backplate makes the card look any better anyways.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any demonstrated improvement in overclocking ability after putting on a backplate. I could care less what my card looks like because I don't have a windowed case and even if I did, I don't find a backplate makes the card look any better anyways.

in theory, due to the greater heat dissipation, there should be an improvement, in practice, its probably pretty small. To me the main function of a back-plate is functional (extra support) and aesthetic.