Should I overclock my fx8320 ?

I have an AMD fx8320 black edition, with a stock cooler, and a Corsair vs550 PSU. Will the PSU handle it if I overclock ? And will the temperatures be okay with the stock cooler ? It idles around 38-40 degrees C and never beyond 67-70 degrees C under load. I also plan on overclocking my GPU (R7 250). And what about unparking CPU cores ? I have a ASUS M-5 A97 R2.0 motherboard. Will it handle overclocking ?

It does not go beyond 70 because it thermal throttles. (IIRC the max safe core temp is somewhere between 60-70)

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I have an AMD fx8320 black edition, with a stock cooler, and a Corsair vs550 PSU. Will the PSU handle it if I overclock ? And will the temperatures be okay with the stock cooler ? It idles around 38-40 degrees C and never beyond 67-70 degrees C under load. I also plan on overclocking my GPU (R7 250). And what about unparking CPU cores ? I have a ASUS M-5 A97 R2.0 motherboard. Will it handle overclocking ?

I would only do a sight overclock on the stock cooler, nothing too huge(like reaching 8350 clocks would be fine). Do you know what your max temp is now(other than 67-70, because if that is the case I wouldn't OC)?

It does not go beyond 70 because it thermal throttles. (IIRC the max safe core temp is somewhere between 60-70)

I thought it thermal throttled near 80 degrees C, thanks !

The max for the 8-core FX CPU's in 62C 6-core 72C 4-core 72C

AMD rate them at 62c max safe operating temp, but I think they shutdown at 90 and will throttle at 70.

Theyre safe up to 75 C, but even with stock coler and stock speeds 8350 barely ever hits 65 C, if you have decent cooling in your case of course.

If youre doing overclocking you really need 990FX chipset mobo.

I have an AMD fx8320, with a stock cooler, and a

Corsair vs550 PSU. Will the PSU handle it if I overclock ?

And will the temperatures be okay with the stock cooler ? It idles around 38-40 degrees C and never beyond 67-70 degrees C under load. I also plan on overclocking my GPU (R7 250). And what about unparking CPU cores ? I have a ASUS M-5 A97 R2.0 motherboard. Will it handle overclocking ?

What are you doing with this machine?

you have very low end GPU, overclocking your CPU will yield no benefit what so ever in games if that's what you're looking for...

and your temperatures are way too high already those chip arent meant to reach more than 65c according to AMD most sources even say 62c.

Get a better GPU if you want improved gaming performance.

Your PSU can handle a mid-range card and this CPU.

You should shop for an R9 280 which is a massive upgrade to an R7 250:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1332?vs=1124

EDIT: A quick look at your profile also confirms you're in need for an extra 4GB of VRAM as well...8GB of system memory is recommended for gaming as well as for any other applications that would require you to have an overclocked 8 core AMD dinosaur.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On the stock cooler i wouldn't overclock as that's a recipe for disaster. The safe temps for an FX CPU are usually around 75C for the socket and around 62C for the core temps, tbh though you're more likely to be thermal throttled by the VRM's on that board than the CPU itself. That said however you SHOULD be able to achieve 4.5Ghz at stock voltage, just make sure LLC is set to high or very high. Before you do that though you should upgrade to a better cooler.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz