Thunder PSU crap?

HyperHertz

Alright, I use the CM Thunder 600w in my rig right now and I heard it's not that good. Do you recommend me to change it as soon as possible to something like Corsair PSU?

Evidence Of Evil

for your computer i would not bother you are not stressing the unit enough for it to be a viable option

Alright, I use the CM Thunder 600w in my rig right now and I heard it's not that good. Do you recommend me to change it as soon as possible to something like Corsair PSU?

I wouldn't use it. There's barely any news or reviews for it around the internet. If you pull ~400W or less from it then I'd be fine, however if you want to upgrade in the future and/or want your PSU to last longer with less worries then I would change it.

However I would not get Corsair, they generally have overpriced PSUs and you can likely find better units for your budget then a Corsair.

"Rawr XD"

The CM Thunder is a GPA unit from CWT. It's internally identical to the Corsair VS series. Basically, an entry level PSU that is a step up from no-name trash.

For a low-power setup with an 750Ti, you should be just fine with using it.

I wouldn't use it. There's barely any news or reviews for it around the internet. If you pull ~400W or less from it then I'd be fine, however if you want to upgrade in the future and/or want your PSU to last longer with less worries then I would change it.

However I would not get Corsair, they generally have overpriced PSUs and you can likely find better units for your budget then a Corsair.

I agree with Aniallation on this matter.

I'd like to add this has little to do with wattage. Low-budget PSU's tend to be fragile and in some cases fry other components. It is after all the unit that transfers and directs electrical current into your other parts, not a component to save money on!

Corsair is definately the most popular choice I've seen around. In my opinion it's not the best (Read a lot of reviews about the CX series breaking down after short use, and making lots of noise). Though I have no direct experience with these PSU's. My AX1200i is working perfectly.

I recommend a Seasonic, or a Be Quiet PSU. Both of these brands made a very professional impression on me. The PSU's are well packaged, it comes with tons of accesoires and even the packaging looks good.

Corsair is definately the most popular choice I've seen around. In my opinion it's not the best (Read a lot of reviews about the CX series breaking down after short use, and making lots of noise). Though I have no direct experience with these PSU's. My AX1200i is working perfectly.

Well AX1200i is made by Flextronics, who mostly do server-grade PSUs. They're rock solid, but IMO you're not going to notice the difference between a AX1200i and an EVGA 1300G2 when you're at this high-end of PSUs, so I don't suggest the AX to people cause I don't feel it's worth the extra $100+ for Corsair Link :P

"Rawr XD"

Well AX1200i is made by Flextronics, who mostly do server-grade PSUs. They're rock solid, but IMO you're not going to notice the difference between a AX1200i and an EVGA 1300G2 when you're at this high-end of PSUs, so I don't suggest the AX to people cause I don't feel it's worth the extra $100+ for Corsair Link :P

Interesting..

Yeah.. in hindsight I would not have gone for the Corsair either. I did not really do research yet back then, very impulsive buying, haha.

I agree with Aniallation on this matter.

I'd like to add this has little to do with wattage. Low-budget PSU's tend to be fragile and in some cases fry other components. It is after all the unit that transfers and directs electrical current into your other parts, not a component to save money on!

I recommend a Seasonic, or a Be Quiet PSU. Both of these brands made a very professional impression on me. The PSU's are well packaged, it comes with tons of accesoires and even the packaging looks good.

I can't seem to find Seasonic PSUs near the place I live in so are Antec PSU good? Thinking of a modular model.

Evidence Of Evil

I can't seem to find Seasonic PSUs near the place I live in so are Antec PSU good? Thinking of a modular model.

What's the model of this Antec?

What's the model of this Antec?

Antec High Current 620w Modular or maybe the Thermaltake Toughpower 550w Modular

Evidence Of Evil

Antec High Current 620w Modular or maybe the Thermaltake Toughpower 550w Modular

This unit? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153200

The Antec HCG-M 620w is a Seasonic M12II 620w unit internally. It's a solid, entry level unit.

While the Thermaltake TPD-550M is a CWT PUQ-G unit. This unit will offer better efficiency and electrical performance.

I would go for the TPD-550M, if they are in the same price range. Other Antec options may be the True Power Classic or Edge (both of with are Seasonic S12G / G derivatives). Both of which I would recommend.

Do you have a link to the store you are able to buy from?

This unit? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153200

The Antec HCG-M 620w is a Seasonic M12II 620w unit internally. It's a solid, entry level unit.

While the Thermaltake TPD-550M is a CWT PUQ-G unit. This unit will offer better efficiency and electrical performance.

I would go for the TPD-550M, if they are in the same price range. Other Antec options may be the True Power Classic or Edge (both of with are Seasonic S12G / G derivatives). Both of which I would recommend.

Do you have a link to the store you are able to buy from?

Antec:

http://www.msy.com.au/nswonline/pc-components/12171-antec-hcg-620m-620w-high-current-gamer-modular-gaming-psu.html

Thermaltake:

http://www.msy.com.au/nswonline/power-supply/13830-thermaltake-ps-tpd-0550mpcgau-1-toughpower-550w-80-gold-psu.html

The Antec is right now out of stock in the shop I go.

Evidence Of Evil

Yeah, that's the Thermaltake I was talking about, and I would go for that over the Antec. Especially since it is also priced cheaper.

If you can buy elsewhere, have a look at the Cooler Master V550: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=29185&zenid=335ba8c6667362376d3b7d3a3a149a5e

That should be in the same price range as the Thermaltake and Antec you was looking at as well as a better unit.

A more inexpensive unit that would be good is the Fractal Design Integra M 550w: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-power-supply-fdpsuin3b550w

Yeah, that's the Thermaltake I was talking about, and I would go for that over the Antec. Especially since it is also priced cheaper.

If you can buy elsewhere, have a look at the Cooler Master V550: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=29185&zenid=335ba8c6667362376d3b7d3a3a149a5e

That should be in the same price range as the Thermaltake and Antec you was looking at as well as a better unit.

A more inexpensive unit that would be good is the Fractal Design Integra M 550w: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-power-supply-fdpsuin3b550w

Awesome! Thanks!

Evidence Of Evil

Interesting, I did not know this. :)