High RAM usage

Hey Everyone!

So i've had my pc for about 5 year now, back when the 2600k was the best i7 you could get. Overtime my start up ram usage has gone up a lot. it sit about 47% on startup, thats not good. Are there any good programs that will clear all the crap from my ram sticks or do i have to do it manually?

Cpu: 5820K @4.0GHz   Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI    Ram: Patriot Signature 16GB @ 2133   GPU: Gigabyte G1 980  Soundcard: ASUS DX  

Speakers: Logitech Z906 and Astro A40's   Keyboard: Logitech G510

completely re-install windows. i do it every spring as spring cleaning

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Use MSconfig to see what's starting up (services and programs).  Disable the ones you don't want or use.   But just be mindful if you start disabling services that you don't recognize.  It might have affects you didn't intend.  If that happens, just remember (or look at the notes you took as you were doing it) which ones you disabled and re-enable them.

Don't reinstall Windows just for that.  That's cutting of the nose to spite the face. 

You'll learn something if you optimize your own system in other ways. 

I'd do what Watts300 said. Go to the start menu, type in "Run" and at the run box type in "MSconfig" and hit enter.

On the MSConfig window, you can browse to the startup section to see which programs start when windows starts.

You can also open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and see what programs are using up your memory. You can click the memory column to make the programs that are using the most memory stack to the top.

Also, wouldn't help to run an antivirus program like adwcleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/or malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/

and some people can get use out of removing bloatware with junkware removal tool http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Reinstalling windows is a bit extreme

Run CCleaner to clear your registry, look at your program list, see if there are any shady ones that installed without your knowledge

then turn off all your startup applications that aren't system-critical.

I personally think it's ridiculous that we need to do these things in this day and age. why is Windows so inefficient?

I personally think it's ridiculous that we need to do these things in this day and age. why is Windows so inefficient?

Eh. It's really not.  It's users that inadvertently install things without realizing it... or intentionally pile on extraneous utilities thinking they're useful when they're really not.  The pile gets so large that it just gums up the works. 

If it was Windows that was the culprit, then a system without any third party software would suffer the same problems.  That's never the case.  

Eh. It's really not.  It's users that inadvertently install things without realizing it... or intentionally pile on extraneous utilities thinking they're useful when they're really not.  The pile gets so large that it just gums up the works. 

If it was Windows that was the culprit, then a system without any third party software would suffer the same problems.  That's never the case.  

I'm just surprised that there's no registry cleaner built in, at the very least. because even after you uninstall a program, all the registry entries get left behind. yay. That's a fun way to use computer resources.

Take a look at what runs when windows starts in MSconfig.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.