PS3 slim heat sink problem

<3linustech
Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

Ok so I went to radio shack and got 2 tubes of thermal paste for $4. And I thought about replacing the thermal paste on my PS3 and the first time I spread the TIM, and the cup barley touched the heat sink, and the GPU's corners only made contact. So I redid the job using the pea method, and bending the clamps twice, so I bend then screw press and unscrew, and the third time I checked the motherboard and tried taking it off, and it is stuck on there so, I think the pea method worked, better. But the heat sink is not convex, why did the spread method not work, can anyone pls answer this. I also think why the pea method worked, cuz the two clamps are putting pressure down, and the middle has paste so it will push down. So I don't want to open the PS3 up again cuz my parents will get mad at me.also when I start it up the air is cold, then the air becomes warm, is it just the PSU that's hot or is the PS3 heat sink working right?

As Liam-McShane said... you're fine. I'd worry if there wasn't hot air coming out.

Ok so I went to radio shack and got 2 tubes of thermal paste for $4. And I thought about replacing the thermal paste on my PS3 and the first time I spread the TIM, and the cup barley touched the heat sink, and the GPU's corners only made contact. So I redid the job using the pea method, and bending the clamps twice, so I bend then screw press and unscrew, and the third time I checked the motherboard and tried taking it off, and it is stuck on there so, I think the pea method worked, better. But the heat sink is not convex, why did the spread method not work, can anyone pls answer this. I also think why the pea method worked, cuz the two clamps are putting pressure down, and the middle has paste so it will push down. So I don't want to open the PS3 up again cuz my parents will get mad at me.also when I start it up the air is cold, then the air becomes warm, is it just the PSU that's hot or is the PS3 heat sink working right?

As Liam-McShane said... you're fine. I'd worry if there wasn't hot air coming out.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum