Installing Windows 8.1 in Australia and UK

Christian

Hello everyone,

I recently read about Windows 8.1 and though- damn, i need this. So i went to download it for my Surface RT from the Microsoft download site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

And i got an error:

windows8-1error.png?w=356

This annoyed me. A lot.

After some Googling around i found that it was an issue with my region. Although i am in Australia, the update is for US only even though i obviously speak English. So i tried this method (found it across quite a few different sites):

1. Place and rename the MSU file in an easily accessible place, e.g. C:\8preview\preview.msu
2. open command prompt in administrator mode.
3. Type: Expand –F:* c:\8preview\preview.msu C:\8preview\
4. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\8preview\Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64.cab

But that threw some errors at me after step 3. After a refresh AND a reset (arrghh) i had the same problem.

So i kept digging. Finally i came across this (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsrt_1_pr-windows_install/windows-81-surface-rt-installer-says-not/26a0a816-a51b-4b3d-90dc-0ac02b71a2ee?page=4&msgId=6b0a82af-e4fd-4ef4-baa9-73589dc7f6b3):

1. Go to Control Panel>Clock, Language and Region>Language

(Can just search for "language" in settings / Win+w)
2. add new language, which is English (United States).
3. Go into the options of this new language and download and install the language pack. A system restart is prompted, BUT WAIT. Not just yet...

4. Go into the registry editor (run regedit,exe) and navigate toHKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language and change the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane to the value 0409 which is EN-US.

(You can remember what it was originally if you want to change it back after installation)

Now reboot.

5. After reboot, just run the update file from preview.windows.com and voila...

And it worked!! So this should work with anyone trying to install RT 8.1 or just 8.1 on any device in AU and UK. Pretty stupid of MS to make it US only like that, but at least we found a fix.

Enjoy!

I believe it says there's issues with updating it via the Store if you have language packs installed and suggested using the ISO instead.

I believe it says there's issues with updating it via the Store if you have language packs installed and suggested using the ISO instead.

For RT devices you can't use the ISO. I had no problem installing it on my Surface RT via the Store.

You can install with a UK OS now. (tried it out and it works fine)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Its good you've found a way. However its going to suck when its finally released and you lose all of your stuff. :(

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4