Fresh Install Windows 7 Driver Problems

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Ok this confirms some good news. The good news is that everything else works in the system properly, and that the problem is really the RAID controller.

Now it might not like your SSD, that is a possibility to keep in mind.

SO lets' recap the basics:

-> You are using the Intel controller and not another one on your motherboard

-> You disabled unused SATA controllers

-> You configured your RAID0 setup as per instructions of your motherboard manual.

-> You installed at Windows setup the RAID controller drivers, which didn't help from my understanding.

-> The ISO is good, as your system is working perfectly now when testing with a non RAID setup

Now your problem is installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

So on Intel website you can find the latest drivers for your Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) drivers. Get both the zip version and exe version of the drivers. Extract the zip file on a USB key which you will use for Windows Setup. And backup the exe setup for install after you re-install Windows (needed as you want to enable RAID0). This should get you started with the latest drivers.

If it is teh same story try this .NET:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

if that doesn't work, try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

If still no. Then I don't know. You seam to be stuck.

I would try Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if it's really the drivers the problem or not. (Windows 8/10 fully support UEFI, so you want to disable CSM, and in the setup delete all partitions and restart from scratch, as it needs to switch from MBR to GPT and different setup configuration). Your graphics card needs to be UEFI ready. If it's new, it probably is. Once installed, and assuming all works, now shutdown it down (not restrat) and see how fast it boost up :)

So I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and I am in a sticky place with driver updates.

Rig

Pentium g3258

MSI z97 Krait Edition

8GB (2x4) HyperX Fury 1866

2x Crucial M500 240GB ssd in RAID 0

Sapphire HD 6950

I Have been trying to get this system functioning for almost a week now. Installing Windows on RAID0 would give me an error message that windows could not complete installation on my hardware. I found a fix to force complete installation.

When error appears

Shift F10 to enter command Prompt

Enter:

Cd..

Cd..

Cd c:\windows\system32|oobe

Msoobe

This would force to the page where you enter serial number and finalize the installation. After a reboot it would come to windows desktop.

I have to install Ethernet driver from the disk to get online.

This is where everything goes wrong.

I tried to go ahead and update Windows. Windows update read an error message that the service wasn't running and therefore could not search for update.

I looked into this and found the issue is an Intel rapid storage technology driver that needed to update. I tried to install the Intel update but it failed to install with an error that said I needed to update .NET. When I try to install .NET it tells me will not install because of the same Intel driver not being installed.

I have looked into several fixes for these individual problems, all of the fixes require one of the other problems I just mentioned to be fixed.

I've put in my time slogging through different forums and tutorials to no avail. Someone please help me.

This is a very large stretch, but have you tried a different Windows ISO?

I don't have one off hand. I could attempt to pirate a copy but i prefer legitimate software.

Sounds to me you forgot to install your RAID controller drivers when you installed Windows.

Do as gabrielcarvfer suggested.

When you get to this screen in Windows 7 setup:

win7_rc_install_17.jpg

Insert your USB with the extracted RAID controller drivers, or insert your motherboard disk, and click on the link "Load Driver".

- Did you set the ports on which your SSD are connected to raid in the bios?

- somethimes raid configurations dont work with UEFI boot, you could try it on legacy.

I am re-installing now. I installed the SATA drivers during install which I had not done before. its not the most recent as it was from my motherboard disk. I'll update after install finishes. Thanks for all the quick responses everybody.

I re-installed Windows and installed all if the 9 series SATA drivers during install. These are the ones off the disk that came with my motherboard and not the most recent. The system is still unable to update.

It did as of a couple days ago. The last time I tried that I ran into a cluster**** of issues trying to clone my OS. I'll put it back on a single drive and see what happens.

Forget cloning. It rarely works. Especially HDD to SSD... that is once in a blue moon it will work.

You don't want to clone, you want to image the system. But nothing beats a clean install.

The first time I ever tried it worked perfectly and hasn't since. Beginners luck I suppose.

OK everything is up and running, and able to update, on a single drive. What next?

Ok this confirms some good news. The good news is that everything else works in the system properly, and that the problem is really the RAID controller.

Now it might not like your SSD, that is a possibility to keep in mind.

SO lets' recap the basics:

-> You are using the Intel controller and not another one on your motherboard

-> You disabled unused SATA controllers

-> You configured your RAID0 setup as per instructions of your motherboard manual.

-> You installed at Windows setup the RAID controller drivers, which didn't help from my understanding.

-> The ISO is good, as your system is working perfectly now when testing with a non RAID setup

Now your problem is installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

So on Intel website you can find the latest drivers for your Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) drivers. Get both the zip version and exe version of the drivers. Extract the zip file on a USB key which you will use for Windows Setup. And backup the exe setup for install after you re-install Windows (needed as you want to enable RAID0). This should get you started with the latest drivers.

If it is teh same story try this .NET:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

if that doesn't work, try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

If still no. Then I don't know. You seam to be stuck.

I would try Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if it's really the drivers the problem or not. (Windows 8/10 fully support UEFI, so you want to disable CSM, and in the setup delete all partitions and restart from scratch, as it needs to switch from MBR to GPT and different setup configuration). Your graphics card needs to be UEFI ready. If it's new, it probably is. Once installed, and assuming all works, now shutdown it down (not restrat) and see how fast it boost up :)

IT WORKED!!!!! I unzipped the latest Intel rapid storage driver onto a usb and installed it during Windows install. I didn't have to force finish windows install through command prompt and both .NET and Windows Update are functioning properly on 446GB of sweet sweet RAID0 goodness. Thank you SO much GoodBytes! You are a life saver!