Extend existing network, not make a new one

oliverjrose99

Hi

I have a Linksys WRT54GSV4 router in my bedroom as the wifi dosn't reach me and I need 2 ethernet lines and only have one. My problem is that it creates a new 192.168.1.x network and doesn't extend the 192.168.0.x from the main router. I have looked at the setup menu on the linksys router but i'm not sure if it can do what i want or if i need to buy a switch. Any ideas?

Thanks

why do you want to keep the ips similar

what do you mean?

EDIT

Sorry i read it wrong. yes i want to keep the ip addresses similar. example, something connected to the main router would have an ip of 192.168.0.x but one connected to the other router would have an ip of 192.168.0.x. I need them both to be 192.168.0.x

You will need to do this (instructions are based on the WRT160Nv2 firmware; hopefully your router has similarly-named entries):

1. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the main router to your WRT54GS router.
  2. Under the Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup section, change the Router IP address to 192.168.0.x (make sure your main router is not handing out this IP address).
  3. Optional: Write down this IP address on a sticky note and put it it on the underside of the WRT router, away from the vent holes. Otherwise, if you forgot the IP address, you will need to factory reset it to regain access.
  4. Disable the DHCP server. Your main router will do all the DHCP work.
  5. Save the settings.
  6. Plug the Ethernet cable into one of the 1-4 ports. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.

This will convert your WRT router into an access point + 4-port switch.

If you want to use the WAN port for future expansion (ie. AP + 5-port switch), you may have to consider alternative firmwares like TomatoUSB or DD-WRT.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

snip

Thanks, this works perfectly. I set a dhcp reservation bond to the router so the ip isn't taken.

You will need to do this (instructions are based on the WRT160Nv2 firmware; hopefully your router has similarly-named entries):

1. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the main router to your WRT54GS router.
  2. Under the Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Setup section, change the Router IP address to 192.168.0.x (make sure your main router is not handing out this IP address).
  3. Optional: Write down this IP address on a sticky note and put it it on the underside of the WRT router, away from the vent holes. Otherwise, if you forgot the IP address, you will need to factory reset it to regain access.
  4. Disable the DHCP server. Your main router will do all the DHCP work.
  5. Save the settings.
  6. Plug the Ethernet cable into one of the 1-4 ports. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.

This will convert your WRT router into an access point + 4-port switch.

If you want to use the WAN port for future expansion (ie. AP + 5-port switch), you may have to consider alternative firmwares like TomatoUSB or DD-WRT.

I dont know how many times Ive done this for my home and other people.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram