Headphone Amplifier Reccomendations

IsaiahKitaeff

Well ShearMe claims that  there have been reports of it being less powerful than the venerable E10. Might have been Mayflower Electronics that said that, can't remember.

I've heard of people being unsatisfied with their FiiO E10Ks, but they were using things like 600Ohm headphones.  For the most part, people say it is ok up to 250Ohms, above that, buy something else.  For my "lowly" Superlux HD668Bs, they provided a sharpness and crispness to the audio while also greatly improving volume.  I seriously cannot go past 4/5 on this thing otherwise I will get a headache from the noise.  I will eventually buy the Phillips Fidelio X2 which is a low Ohm headphone so the E10K fit in with my future plans also.  It also has a line out for powered speakers.

The build quality is great, good company, good warranty, good registration for your product, I absolutely love the mechanical volume wheel, thats something so overlooked, but it makes a big deal to me.  Also, the blue LED fits in with my system aesthetic, and I wanted it to be USB powered because I am maxed out on outlets even with two surge protectors. It fit my set of criteria, and it fit a lot of other people's set of criteria.  To say they are underpowered, well, like the graph above, to each their own. 

If the OP is really concerned about the FiiO not having enough juice for the DT990s, then go for the SMSL SD793-II + Optical Cable.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Bear in mind that what you or I consider loud enough may not be loud enough for another person.  I do think it's pertinent to let @IsaiahKitaeff

know, however, that listening at extremely high volumes can lead to hearing loss.  It can also lead to temporary or permanent tinnitus.

I'm bearing it in mind. I should elaborate that by "loud enough" I mean comfortable with enough headroom to make it uncomfortable and probably unsafe. The OSHA threshold of 85 dB is not conservative; 60-70 dB is much safer.

I'm really enjoying this conversation that we got going here, very interesting information for someone like me that doesn't know much about high-end audio equipment.

I'm currently looking at these two, as per recommendations:

1. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2

2. http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424402767&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+e10k

For my 250 Ohm headphones (DT990) which one would you all vote for?

Also, one question; for the Monoprice amp, I would connect it with the USB going to my PC correct? Not the other outputs?

Thanks.

I'd say Monoprice. The 10 ohm output impedance is no problem for a 250 ohm headphone, and it gives you some room to upgrade to a more demanding can in the future. You would connect by USB to use the built-in DAC, which is probably what you would want to do.

I'm bearing it in mind. I should elaborate that by "loud enough" I mean comfortable with enough headroom to make it uncomfortable and probably unsafe. The OSHA threshold of 85 dB is not conservative; 60-70 dB is much safer.

I'd say Monoprice. The 10 ohm output impedance is no problem for a 250 ohm headphone, and it gives you some room to upgrade to a more demanding can in the future. You would connect by USB to use the built-in DAC, which is probably what you would want to do.

Ah, good, thank you for your input.

Ah, good, thank you for your input.

Whatever you decide to buy, consider the company.  Do they have good support in the event that something goes wrong?  Do they provide a good warranty period on their product for the amount of money you're spending?  Personally, these questions are just as important as the product itself.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Honestly, never been impressed by FiiO.

Truth of the matter is most people don't really need (or benefit) from a dedicated DAC. Modern computers have OK sound by default these days and any inexpensive DAC isn't going to give you a bump in audio fidelity.

My recommendation is a Schiit Magni 2. They can orthodynamic headphones just fine so it'll do for you. Schiit's gear is also really high quality, both in terms of sound and manufacturing. I have several of their products (Modi 2, Lyr, Bifrost) and each one of them is built beautifully.

If you want a bit more flexibility and feel like jumping the price a bit I'd say O2+ODAC combo units are the best way to go. While the build quality doesn't stack up compared to higher-end gear, the sound generally does. And, again, mine can drive my HE-500's just fine so there's not much out there they can't.

Truth of the matter is most people don't really need (or benefit) from a dedicated DAC. Modern computers have OK sound by default these days and any inexpensive DAC isn't going to give you a bump in audio fidelity.

My recommendation is a Schiit Magni 2. They can orthodynamic headphones just fine so it'll do for you. Schiit's gear is also really high quality, both in terms of sound and manufacturing. I have several of their products (Modi 2, Lyr, Bifrost) and each one of them is built beautifully.

If you want a bit more flexibility and feel like jumping the price a bit I'd say O2+ODAC combo units are the best way to go. While the build quality doesn't stack up compared to higher-end gear, the sound generally does. And, again, mine can drive my HE-500's just fine so there's not much out there they can't.

Remember, the OP is driving DT 990.

Remember, the OP is driving DT 990.

The O2 can drive everything from CIEM's to planar magnetics. I would know, I use mine with my Noble 4C's and HE-500's. You might have to make a special request but there's not much an O2 can't drive well.

The Magni 2 especially is a recommendation I stand by. I've heard of the two being paired very successfully to great results. And as I've said I own several Schiit products (hehe) and their build quality is top-notch. Their stuff is meant for harder to drive headphones, it's where they excel. Their stuff also looks sexy, which is a nice bonus. Honestly I wish they made a wider range of gear if only so I could get something from them to drive my Noble 4C's. Schiit has a new product. Plus you get to say to people, "Listen to this Schiit." That's worth the price of admission on it's own!

Paying for a DAC can be useful if the motherboard DAC is having issues.  Bear in mind, the O2/ODAC may be a bit expensive for people who just want a bit more volume.  The portable O2 is very affordable actually.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

The O2 can drive everything from CIEM's to planar magnetics. I would know, I use mine with my Noble 4C's and HE-500's. You might have to make a special request but there's not much an O2 can't drive well.

The Magni 2 especially is a recommendation I stand by. I've heard of the two being paired very successfully to great results. And as I've said I own several Schiit products (hehe) and their build quality is top-notch. Their stuff is meant for harder to drive headphones, it's where they excel. Their stuff also looks sexy, which is a nice bonus. Honestly I wish they made a wider range of gear if only so I could get something from them to drive my Noble 4C's. Schiit has a new product. Plus you get to say to people, "Listen to this Schiit." That's worth the price of admission on it's own!

Can it really? I had no idea.

Can it really? I had no idea.

Yeah, the O2 is an incredibly flexible piece of kit. It can drive pretty much everything shy of electrostatic gear, but at that point you're generally looking at a couple thousand for the headphones alone... The O2/ODAC would actually probably be a really good option, because it will drive everything you have, and it will do it well. Barnacules has a pretty good review of the thing up on youtube. (Just look for Barnacules+Mayflower electronics, or something like that.) He has a wide range of headphones too, so it's a pretty well rounded look at the amp/DAC.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Paying for a DAC can be useful if the motherboard DAC is having issues.  Bear in mind, the O2/ODAC may be a bit expensive for people who just want a bit more volume.  The portable O2 is very affordable actually.

Yeah but that's the thing, for the price I'd just get a Magni 2. You can pair it with the Modi if you ever decide to upgrade to having a DAC and you end up with a very respectable little Schiit stack. Not as flexible as an O2+ODAC but most people don't need a stack that can drive a huge variety of headphones.

The Fiio E10K is my usual budget recommendation.  I don't think you can do better at the same or lower price.

The Monoprice is my second favorite pick for having more power on tap than the E10K and all the features, for just a few dollars more.  Usually I try to read the worst reviews of a product I can find too.  In the case of the Monoprice you are going to find that the led on the front of it is crazy, CRAZY bright.  Nothing you can't fix with a little sharpy or whatever.  Some complain of the volume control being cheap to the feel and too easy to turn.

If you have $200 to budget then I recommend the Schiit Magni 2 for $99 and keep the other $100, in case you ever find a reason to decide to buy a DAC, at which time go for the Modi2.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

If you have $200 to budget then I recommend the Schiit Magni 2 for $99 and keep the other $100, in case you ever find a reason to decide to buy a DAC, at which time go for the Modi2.

I'd vote for doing that anyway. Unless you have a bargain-basement PC the onboard audio is going to suffice as a DAC and do as well as a FiiO E10K. So drop all the money into the AMP.

Besides, they make really inexpensive USB DACs that'll run you about $20 and will deliver as good of an experience as most FiiOs.

The DT 990 isn't hard to drive.