SQL views

Carrionz

Does anyone know a good place on the net which explains in a simple way how to use and learn about SQL views?

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks! :)

w3school is a good starting point for most things but it lacks any depth: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_view.asp

Oracle has public documents that are pretty good: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/statements_8004.htm

SQL is one of those things where nothing beats hands on experience.

If you haven't already set up a local DB that you can run commands on. This could be as simple as something in Microsoft Access or a local web server.

That way no data is in danger and you can still get hands on experience  :D

Thanks man! I had my first day on the apprenticeship today and wow... I was lost for the most part. the command chains and scripts were huge for the business. So many tables and the integration of a million applications. Hope I'll get to grips with it in time, it's really confusing so far.

I'll check these out! Cheers!

Things get very confusing when you're first introduced to a new system.

The most handy thing I have found is to run a few DESC(describe) commands to get the structures.

With any luck they would have named the variables well and you will quickly learn where to look for information when you need to write queries down the road.

You could also ask if they have a user's manual which would also contain all this information.

I just applied for an internship program earlier this year and should be getting my results in a couple weeks. With that said, I will likely be in the same situation you are next summer  :blush:

Try and take it easy, it often sucks being the new guy  ;)