Alcohol in the loop

4b33r

Hello,

Greetings,

I am building a loop and trying to make it so that it requires as less maintenance as possible,I know that custom loops do require quite a lot of maintenance but maybe if I would use some isopropyl alcohol then it would require a lot less maintenance.First of all it rules out the possibility of organic matter as,well it's freaking alcohol.Secondly I don't think it will corrode metals at all,I think it won't pick up ions and get conductive as well.I know alcohol conducts A LOT less heat when compared to water but I am ok with that as long as it only requires maintenance every 5-6 years.I would also like to know if alcohol would cool my 4790k equivalent*

and R9 290x equivalent* with 2x 360mm slim (less than 45mm) rads.

Thank you.

*I am going to build a rig in about a year.

Only ever use distilled water. Pair that with either a kill coil/algaecide/biocode/coloring agent with anti-corrosive and biocide and it will do just fine. 

Also, if you don't feel like maintaining a water cooling loop, water cooling really is not right for you. You have to be fully responsible for everything that happens to that loop, which includes regular maintenance and flushing of the liquid when it needs it.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Hello,

Greetings,

I am building a loop and trying to make it so that it requires as less maintenance as possible,I know that custom loops do require quite a lot of maintenance but maybe if I would use some isopropyl alcohol then it would require a lot less maintenance.First of all it rules out the possibility of organic matter as,well it's freaking alcohol.Secondly I don't think it will corrode metals at all,I think it won't pick up ions and get conductive as well.I know alcohol conducts A LOT less heat when compared to water but I am ok with that as long as it only requires maintenance every 5-6 years.I would also like to know if alcohol would cool my 4790k equivalent*

and R9 290x equivalent* with 2x 360mm slim (less than 45mm) rads.

Thank you.

*I am going to build a rig in about a year.

Your joking right? Other's can probably give more technical explanations as to why alcohol won't work. If you're not willing to perform maintenance on your loop 2 to 4 times a year water cooling isn't for you. Distilled water and a biocide like a silver kill coil or liquid biocide is enough to inhibit the growth of waterborne organisms. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Or just get an AIO and call it a day.... my H110 hasn't made a peep in almost 2 years now, temps still rock solid...probably runs cooler than my body

Yeah I know, it's not shiny and flashy, which is why I will eventually switch, but just spend the money and make the loop easy to maintain, top mounted fill port, lowest point possible mounted drain port.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't see why everyone's freaking out, it's a fair question.

Sure, dumb to someone who's watercooled forever, but you guys really need to keep in mind you're hear to teach not to scoff

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Alcohol may eat away at seals and tubing. I don't think that's a risk you should take.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Alcohol can destroy MULTIPLE things such as...

Tubing (depending on material)

Seals

Your res

The interior of your pump depending on material.

Instead of lowering maintenance requirements, you'd make it about 10x more intensive and 50x more expensive by constantly replacing parts. It's not worth it.

Either get distilled water and some kind of biocide/anticorrosive or some coolant that's got that stuff pre-mixed with dyes that might fit your build's theme. (NOTE: Avoid red dyes. You don't want the pain.)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 (OC'd to 3.8 Ghz) | CPU Cooler: XSPC Raystorm with 240mm rad | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 | RAM: 32 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | Monitor: LG 34um65 primary, Acer P191w secondary in portrait | 120 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD + 640 GB HDD + 250 GB HDD | Corsair 750w PSU | Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65v2 | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow | Headset: Turtle Beach PX3.

I think people are missing the biggest problem with alcohol as a fluid, and that the heat capacity of water vs other liquids:

Cp of 2-propanol: 1.54 J/(gK) @STP

Cp of Water: 4.2 J/(gK) @STP

^Number may not be exact but gives you an idea of how much energy water can actually store.

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10