Web browsers giving security warnings when visiting sites using HTTPS

Hello Forums!

This started about a day ago I think. When visiting secure sites like https://google.com(or any other site using HTTPS) Chrome gives me a security warning. YT wasn't effected until just a few minutes ago. I also tried using IE, same errors.

Here's a pic one of the errors:

nr21qOU.png

It was also giving me a different one but that let me ignore the warning where as this one doesn't.

Fix your system time, it's probably wrong

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

The same thing happened to me when my dad's laptop time/date when all bananas. Changing it fixed it.

i'm a potato

The same thing happened to me when my dad's laptop time/date when all bananas. Changing it fixed it.

I tried changing what website Windows syncs too. I also tried changing timezones then changing back. No effects.

• 6 months later...

Why would the system time have an effect on this?

In short: because of SSL / TLS which is used since you use HTTPS. Your computer verifies that the server is really the server you want to connect to via certificates. These certificates are stored on your computer (so it can validate the server) and are only valid for a certain period of time. Therefore if your system time is wrong, your computer flags these certificates outdated and is not able to verify the genuineness of the server you want to connect to.

In short: because of SSL / TLS which is used since you use HTTPS. Your computer verifies that the server is really the server you want to connect to via certificates. These certificates are stored on your computer (so it can validate the server) and are only valid for a certain period of time. Therefore if your system time is wrong, your computer flags these certificates outdated and is not able to verify the genuineness of the server you want to connect to.

Alright then, Thanks. . .