Need advice from those with experience on music audio recording

Darkinstinct

I just purchased a new recording set up(for game streaming) and I’m looking for some advice on where to start when it comes to programs to use for music. I have some friends that have always wanted to record music and I’m the one who knows how to work the hardware not to mention I’m the only one with the computer/sound system capable of doing any kind of work with music that they know at least. They are looking to record acoustic guitar and vocals but I personally am not the musical type so I figured I would look for some advice before trying to learn it all by myself. If I’m missing anything hardware wise please tell me (this wasn’t for music originally so I’m probably missing something) if you have suggestions for ways to upgrade the set up that would also be appreciated.

Personally this is going to be used for my streaming set up but I’m more than happy to help my friends with making music in any way I can.

Microphone: AT2020 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5ZX9FM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I have a shock mount and pop filter for the mic already.

Headphones: ATH-AD700X (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I don’t know if this post will amount to much but these forums have never let me down before, if you have any questions feel free to ask them if they can help you get a better idea of what advice to give.

Get yourself a DAW (I recommend Reaper) and you're good to go.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Thank you, any other suggestions? tips? 

just to make sure im not reading this wrong, reaper is 60$ right? it had the download button but also a purchase tab so im guessing the 60$ gives me a license to use the program after i download it?

I'll just stick with the software side of things for now as you have a decent mic and headphones.

Thank you, any other suggestions? tips? 

As Mega has suggested, Reaper is a fully capable DAW and I work with it on numerous occasions. However, if you have no prior experience with using a Digital Audio Workstation I suggest you take a look at Audacity and try to explore some of the basic functionality there. Most DAWs share the same basic principals so in this sense any time you spend with audacity will not be wasted if you decide that you would like to change platforms.

For small scale recordings, a DAW such as Reaper or Audacity will be more then enough for recording and basic editing.

Which ever piece of software you decide on: us it. Try to record lots getting used to recording snippets of yourself or you friends talking or playing and play around with those samples. Try experimenting with different effects and most importantly, RTFM. Seriously, Reaper and audacity are decent at offering the basic functionality out of the box, but some of the more advanced features require some tinkering.

I wish you luck, have fun!

just to make sure im not reading this wrong, reaper is 60$ right? it had the download button but also a purchase tab so im guessing the 60$ gives me a license to use the program after i download it?

Also, if you don't feel like paying the full price immediately you can pirate it to test drive it to see you you like it.* DAWs are an investment if you want to continue streaming.

*Not saying that this is your only choice. Some DAWs, if not all have demo or trial versions. 

Signature unda construction... in the meantime. Tell me more about yourself. I'm sure you've got an interesting story.

Also, if you don't feel like paying the full price immediately you can pirate it to test drive it to see you you like it.* DAWs are an investment if you want to continue streaming.

*Not saying that this is your only choice. Some DAWs, if not all have demo or trial versions. 

Audacity is actually mentioned in the little starting guide that comes with this AT2020+ mic so I might start with that, fiddle around until I find a barrier in its capabilities later. Does anyone know a good YouTube playlist for learning to audio recording equipment?