80°C CPU is this bad?

Go to solution Solved by Weesnaw,

I think that's pretty high even though it's in the safe zone. Buy something like a 212 evo and it should drop by many degrees.

I just have stock CPU cooler but it doesnt seem to be doing the job, my i5 CPU is going at a stable 70°- 80°, is this bad? 

At stock speeds?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Those temperatures are still in the safe zone. As long as it's not in the 90-100C range in load, it's fine.

Depends whether or not it's OC'ed of course. If stock speeds, it seems higher than normal.

When idle?

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Are those load temperatures? Those are fine, but I would suggest getting something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo to bring those down, and allow you to overclock some. 

Are those load temperatures? Those are fine, but I would suggest getting something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo to bring those down, and allow you to overclock some. 

This.  If that's under load, you're totally fine. But that's way too hot for idle temps.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I think that's pretty high even though it's in the safe zone. Buy something like a 212 evo and it should drop by many degrees.

ya

That's bad. Is the cooler on properly?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I think that's pretty high. Is it at stock or overclocked?

stock

stock

Yes is the cooler on properly? Try buying aftermarket thermal paste (i.e IC Diamond)

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

This.  If that's under load, you're totally fine. But that's way too hot for idle temps.

its at idle, which is why im concerned  

Yes is the cooler on properly? Try buying aftermarket thermal paste (i.e IC Diamond)

Even without aftermarket TIM, that's too high. Way too high.

yes i just went to check if it was and it is, i think ill have to pick up a new cooler tho, this one just doesn't seem to be doing me well 

yes i just went to check if it was and it is, i think ill have to pick up a new cooler tho, this one just doesn't seem to be doing me well 

I have a feeling you put it on wrong lol.

I'd go for the hyper 212+/evo

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

So you're getting 80C in IDLE with stock config (no OC) and stock cooler? What's the temp under load? Have you tried cleaning the dust out of it?

I think that's pretty high even though it's in the safe zone.

That is not the safe zone on idle. Under load, yes. But idle...it's not even close to the safe zone.

ok thanks guys ill try and pick up a 212 evo 

That is not the safe zone on idle. Under load, yes. But idle...it's not even close to the safe zone.

Sorry, didn't see the idle post earlier.

Sorry, didn't see the idle post earlier.

It happens.

With stock speeds and w/o load you get 80*C? Thats bad. What do you get under load?

With stock speeds and w/o load you get 80*C? Thats bad. What do you get under load?

Yeah u should be getting about half that at idle . . . Erm, take it off n check the thermal paste, wipe it off with thermal paste remover or rubbing alcohol and re apply some after market paste, and see if that works.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65