Powerline adapters?

Go to solution Solved by -MOBIUS-,

Hello all!

In my family's house we have always used wireless connections for everything - including our computers, smart TVs, and all other devices.

As much as I would love to get the entire house wired it can not be done because of the cost and the lack of time to undertake such a project.

While the wireless connection around our entire house is pretty good and never really have too many connection issues I would like to be able to get all of our computers hard wired via powerline adapters and maybe even the TVs as well.

I have always heard that powerline adapters are a decent solution to this problem. But I would like to hear some opinions from the LTT community.

Is it worth it and do they work pretty much as good as being directly wired into a modem? Do they work well if I wanted to add a potential NAS in the future for my entire family to access movies, etc.? Are powerline adapters fine to use with network switches and will not experience any sort of performance hit?

NOTES

- The house is about 10 years old, so I figure that the electrical wiring is not too shabby.

- Currently we have TWC and have 30 down/5 up.

- Will most likely be upgrading to AT&T's gigabit internet in about a month or so after they finally finish laying it all out where we live.

- So, I would like to find a solution that is going to maximize download and upload speeds for all devices.

- We are currently using a Motorola SBG6782-AC gateway.

P.S. Yes, I am a networking noob...

Any help and insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Well, I'd move the router to the center of your house if it's not already and you could just put a few devices on wired and still have a few on wireless.

I use some Netgear 500Mbps powerline adapter and I actually really like them, speed was much better than wireless and it didn't increase my latency on games or anything.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂