Mobile Swaggin' Waggon

Memories4K
Go to solution Solved by WastedEmu,

Windows 8.1 would not let me install the OS on my external HDD.

Maybe I haven't had any issues because the HDD's had windows installed on them when they were internal... If you can give that a quick try, use an internal SATA port to install, then move it over to an external enclosure?

Hello, fellow Socks-in-Sandals clergymen.

So, here's the thing.

I'm working on a build right now.

I'm making my Desktop as mobile as can be and one of the things i'd like to do is have absolutely no internal drives within the system.

But you may be asking "Wait, how will you store data and where will you put your operating system?"

Which is a good question.

Because that is my question, hahahaha

No, but you see my plan is to use an external SSD (Yes, i understand internal drives, PCI-E, and M.2 is master race due to speed) the problem is i recently tried to install Windows 8.1 on my external HDD but i had to jump through some hoops just to get it installed and when i did get it installed i noticed a few (nothing major, but annoying) bugs that i would run into seemingly because i put it into an external device and had to jump through hoops.

So, my real question is if i were to buy an external SSD would the Windows 7 (Not sure if the OS matters, but preferably 7 over 8.1) recognize my external USB 3.0 SSD without me jumping through hoops? (Thereby having it be a normal installation without the bugs i experienced)

Or is the only way to have a normal installation through SATA?

Please and Thank You!

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Get linux boot os?

But then dvd reader is needed.

I've been able to boot Windows 8.1 through an external drive with zero problems... I sometiimes throw someone else's hard drive on a SATA to USB 3 dock and boot from that just by choosing that USB device through the boot menu, and it boots up normal. Shouldn't have to do anything special

I've been able to boot Windows 8.1 through an external drive with zero problems... I sometiimes throw someone else's hard drive on a SATA to USB 3 dock and boot from that just by choosing that USB device through the boot menu, and it boots up normal. Shouldn't have to do anything special

Maybe I haven't had any issues because the HDD's had windows installed on them when they were internal... If you can give that a quick try, use an internal SATA port to install, then move it over to an external enclosure?

Oh my god, i hadn't thought of that.

That's genius.

You're right, i could just buy something like a Samsung 850 Pro, insall the OS, put it into an external thunderbolt (TRIM is desired) enclosure, simply go into the UEFI, and boot from the enclosure.

Thank you!

Oh my god, i hadn't thought of that.

That's genius.

You're right, i could just buy something like a Samsung 850 Pro, insall the OS, put it into an external thunderbolt (TRIM is desired) enclosure, simply go into the UEFI, and boot from the enclosure.

Thank you!

You're Welcome! hope this is the solution to your problem!