295x2 radiator fan replacement

hiei1942

Hello

has anyone changed out their fan from the Radiator on their 295x2 Video card to something that is better than the cheap one it came with. I'm thinking on putting either a Corsair SP120mm Quiet Edition or Performance edition on the radiator. Or a Noctua fan,  Just Curious if you plugged the fan connection to the connection coming from the Video card itself or plugged the fan connection to the Motherboard.  Just worried about burning something out on the Card If I use a new fan connected to the card itself. The stock fan I gather uses about 0.05 amps. any help would be Greatly appreciated  

The Corsair SP 120mm Quiet 0.08 amps

SP 120mm High performance 0.18 amps

Noctua NF-P12 0.09 amp  

Hello

has anyone changed out their fan from the Radiator on their 295x2 Video card to something that is better than the cheap one it came with. I'm thinking on putting either a Corsair SP120mm Quiet Edition or Performance edition on the radiator. Or a Noctua fan, Just Curious if you plugged the fan connection to the connection coming from the Video card itself or plugged the fan connection to the Motherboard. Just worried about burning something out on the Card If I use a new fan connected to the card itself. The stock fan I gather uses about 0.05 amps. any help would be Greatly appreciated

The Corsair SP 120mm Quiet 0.08 amps

SP 120mm High performance 0.18 amps

Noctua NF-P12 0.09 amp

Don't... You need a 2 pin fan (which barely even exists and you also wil need to recover the housing to plug it in. Not worth it imo.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

I used two NF-F12's on my R9 295x2 and had no issues with it, one i connected in the 3pin connector from the GPU, and one i routed from the motherboard and set it up to run quiet, unsure if you can run a splitter off the one that it comes with or if you run into issues.

first off the fan is 2 pin and also its integrated in to the housing of the card 

so unless your going to replace the stock face plate I dont think this is going to work you would have to try cretin fans to see if they will fit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7930/the-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-review/3

He's talking about the fan on the radiator, not the one on the card, which according to your own link is 2 pin but you can see in the picture that it is plugued in a regular 3 pin connector.

Thanks for the posts and the anandtech review was a good read, Thank you for that. I'll do some shopping tonight for a few fans and try them out to see if any of them will work. I'll first plug them into the Video cards fan connection then the motherboards connection to see if they work. Cheers

OK SWEDE I'll give it a try, I'll buy a NF-F12 tonight and plug it in to the cards fans connector. let's hope it works LOL

If you haven't already purchased, I would recommend the sp120 performance with the downvolt cable to 7v. It will beat the Noctua.

See:

for fan comparison.

• 4 months later...

I used two NF-F12's on my R9 295x2 and had no issues with it, one i connected in the 3pin connector from the GPU, and one i routed from the motherboard and set it up to run quiet, unsure if you can run a splitter off the one that it comes with or if you run into issues.

the f12 only comes in 4 pin, how did you mod it to work with the 3 pin female connector on the card? i didnt want to have to break any clips so i thinking of going with a 3 pin p12 since it 2nd best option for rads according to noctua.

i did just email them recommending they make a 3 pin f12 since rads on graphics cards are becoming more popular but i believe they all use 3 pin stock fans.

you guys should write them too!

Also, i found some info on a toms hardware thread. the user said he looked up the stock rad fan model number and found that it has a CFM of 60. a f12 i believe is about 55. so i would assume replacing the stock fan with a single noctua may actually hurt the card. the industrial 3 pin f12 has a cfm of 70 if my half fast google search is correct, but an amazon reviewer stated that his industrial (at 1000rpm)was much louder then his p12 (at 1300rpm).

what to do, what to do