Friends CPU boiled his AIO cooler (Story)

This story begins with my friend getting raped in the wallet by Fry's electronics.  He didn't know much about PCs and somebody told him to go to fry's and they would pick the parts for him.  I asked him about his parts, (it was a great PC, but he payed way too much for unnecessary things), lets just say he was using about, under load, 450 watts on an 850 watt PSU.  his pc consists of a 4790k, gaz97x gaming 7, and a gtx 970, for 1080p gaming.  So, when he built it dying light was released so we bought that and we started playing it, and a few days later he asked how to overclock.  So I told him how to put a mild OC on his 970(strix btw) and gave him +130 on the base, same for the memory clock.  He also wanted to know how to OC his cpu so I directed him to Linus's video.  He watched it and got confused, but claimed that he found some presets in his mobo bios and got a stable OC at 4.7, which surprised me a lot.  So, for the next couple of weeks we played dying light and other games, and now it is February 9, 30 minutes before evolve is released.  we both have already installed it and are waiting anxiously, and he asks me, out of the blue, what program he could use to monitor his temp, voltages, and frequencies, so i directed him to HWmonitor, by the people who made cpu-z.  I asked him what his cpu temps were, we were in the middle of playing some dying light, and he said 104.  (he has a corsair h105 aio loop) I asked him to read me it in celsius, assuming he read the fahrenheit.  THAT WAS THE CELSIUS.  HIS CPU WAS BOILING HIS WATER COOLING LOOP.  I told him to immediately turn of his computer and he did.  I asked him to feel the tubes of his cooler and he said that they were very hot, and later he found out in fact that his loop had boiled slightly, put since it was a closed loop that water condensed back into a liquid.  I directed him into his bios, now talking on the phone, and found out that the preset overclock he chose put 1.475 volts into his CPU.  :o    .  I was shocked his processor was still alive, and told him how to do a still decent overclock at 4.5 ghz with 1.3 volts.  

I guess the moral of the story is, WTF GIGABYTE HOW DO YOU ALLOW YOUR PRESET OVERCLOCKS TO GO ABOVE 3.5 VOLTS.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

I would think that CPU would have committed suicide or shut down if it had literally gotten hot enough to boil a closed loop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Holy shit batman, that is a fucking lot of voltage for an i7.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I would think that CPU would have committed suicide or shut down if it had literally gotten hot enough to boil a closed loop.

that's what surprised me the most, i was very confused by the whole thing.

Holy shit batman, that is a fucking lot of voltage for an i7.

it sure is

overclock he chose put 1.475 volts into his CPU.   :o    .

WTF GIGABYTE HOW DO YOU ALLOW YOUR PRESET OVERCLOCKS TO GO ABOVE 3.5 VOLTS.

I dont even know 

Dam

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

This story begins with my friend getting raped in the wallet by Fry's electronics.  He didn't know much about PCs and somebody told him to go to fry's and they would pick the parts for him.  I asked him about his parts, (it was a great PC, but he payed way too much for unnecessary things), lets just say he was using about, under load, 450 watts on an 850 watt PSU.  his pc consists of a 4790k, gaz97x gaming 7, and a gtx 970, for 1080p gaming.  So, when he built it dying light was released so we bought that and we started playing it, and a few days later he asked how to overclock.  So I told him how to put a mild OC on his 970(strix btw) and gave him +130 on the base, same for the memory clock.  He also wanted to know how to OC his cpu so I directed him to Linus's video.  He watched it and got confused, but claimed that he found some presets in his mobo bios and got a stable OC at 4.7, which surprised me a lot.  So, for the next couple of weeks we played dying light and other games, and now it is February 9, 30 minutes before evolve is released.  we both have already installed it and are waiting anxiously, and he asks me, out of the blue, what program he could use to monitor his temp, voltages, and frequencies, so i directed him to HWmonitor, by the people who made cpu-z.  I asked him what his cpu temps were, we were in the middle of playing some dying light, and he said 104.  (he has a corsair h105 aio loop) I asked him to read me it in celsius, assuming he read the fahrenheit.  THAT WAS THE CELSIUS.  HIS CPU WAS BOILING HIS WATER COOLING LOOP.  I told him to immediately turn of his computer and he did.  I asked him to feel the tubes of his cooler and he said that they were very hot, and later he found out in fact that his loop had boiled slightly, put since it was a closed loop that water condensed back into a liquid.  I directed him into his bios, now talking on the phone, and found out that the preset overclock he chose put 1.475 volts into his CPU.   :o    .  I was shocked his processor was still alive, and told him how to do a still decent overclock at 4.5 ghz with 1.3 volts.  

I guess the moral of the story is, WTF GIGABYTE HOW DO YOU ALLOW YOUR PRESET OVERCLOCKS TO GO ABOVE 3.5 VOLTS.

*edit* Go above 1.35 volts, not 3.5 lol

And this is why you should only manually overclock...

Wouldn't it automatically thermal throttle or shut down at that kind of temps?

Whatever preset it was probably found a way around that.

Sig under construction.

Wouldn't it automatically thermal throttle or shut down at that kind of temps?

he was talking about sometimes hearing his fans ramp up and his performance go down, but I guess it was still too hot.

And this is why you should only manually overclock...

Whatever preset it was probably found a way around that.

yup

Fry's at it's best (pun intended) (I haven't been to USA, so I don't know how Fry's is BTW)

Fry's at it's best (pun intended) (I haven't been to USA, so I don't know how Fry's is BTW)

where's the pun

where's the pun

Fry's frying the cpu, as in picking the mobo, wich fry's the cpu. Like a domino effect

in closed water loop the water temp can go above 100C but it still wont boil because there is no space for the water to expand and turn to vapor.

also the check if his cpu can thermal throttle or not, because some broken cpus/gpus would still go way up and wouldnt thermal throttle.

This story begins with my friend getting raped in the wallet by Fry's electronics.  He didn't know much about PCs and somebody told him to go to fry's and they would pick the parts for him.  I asked him about his parts, (it was a great PC, but he payed way too much for unnecessary things), lets just say he was using about, under load, 450 watts on an 850 watt PSU.  his pc consists of a 4790k, gaz97x gaming 7, and a gtx 970, for 1080p gaming.  So, when he built it dying light was released so we bought that and we started playing it, and a few days later he asked how to overclock.  So I told him how to put a mild OC on his 970(strix btw) and gave him +130 on the base, same for the memory clock.  He also wanted to know how to OC his cpu so I directed him to Linus's video.  He watched it and got confused, but claimed that he found some presets in his mobo bios and got a stable OC at 4.7, which surprised me a lot.  So, for the next couple of weeks we played dying light and other games, and now it is February 9, 30 minutes before evolve is released.  we both have already installed it and are waiting anxiously, and he asks me, out of the blue, what program he could use to monitor his temp, voltages, and frequencies, so i directed him to HWmonitor, by the people who made cpu-z.  I asked him what his cpu temps were, we were in the middle of playing some dying light, and he said 104.  (he has a corsair h105 aio loop) I asked him to read me it in celsius, assuming he read the fahrenheit.  THAT WAS THE CELSIUS.  HIS CPU WAS BOILING HIS WATER COOLING LOOP.  I told him to immediately turn of his computer and he did.  I asked him to feel the tubes of his cooler and he said that they were very hot, and later he found out in fact that his loop had boiled slightly, put since it was a closed loop that water condensed back into a liquid.  I directed him into his bios, now talking on the phone, and found out that the preset overclock he chose put 1.475 volts into his CPU.   :o    .  I was shocked his processor was still alive, and told him how to do a still decent overclock at 4.5 ghz with 1.3 volts.  

its the problem with Z97 chipset  with D.C cpus . if its not on static voltage it will easily hit 1.35v on even stock turbo .lol. i don't know what is the condition of his cpu now but try 1.10 volts on stock and 1.15v for 4.5 ghz . i guess it will stabilize on these voltages .

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

I am surprised the CPU didn't auto shutoff I thought the Haswell CPUs shutoff or throttled at like 90-95C

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

Fry's frying the cpu, as in picking the mobo, wich fry's the cpu. Like a domino effect

i dont blame frys for frying the cpu, they only raped his wallet