Starting Windows laptop problems

V10R37

Today someone I know asked my to try to fix a laptop. When I arrived there, I found BSOD, so I turned it off and tried to turn it back on, but it got stuck at Starting Windows. I then tried to start it in safe mode but it got stuck to. System repair also got stuck.

I then tried to use a usb drive with Windows setup to start the repair proces from it, but it also got stuck at Starting Windows.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

Windows 7 ultimate x86, recently installed.

First thing I would do is ask your friend if he has all their data backed up. If not then I would be backing that up (presuming the HDD is ok) and that would lead me onto my second thing, Test the HDD to make sure its not broken/damaged. After that if its not damaged then its just a software error. Im not sure if laptops have the option to turn sata from IDE>AHCI but it might be worth quickly checking for that first.

But really if you cant repair it the way you tried to and you know the HDD is fine then a clean install is the best and quickest option by far.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

also try resetting the bios, i had a similar problem with a laptop and that did the trick. my bet is that the hdd is bad

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

I then tried to use a usb drive with Windows setup to start the repair proces from it, but it also got stuck at Starting Windows.

When you used the usb with a windows install, did you booted from the usb? that is even before the OS loads up. Booting from the USB should not give errors because you are not touching the HDD

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

Your best option in this instance is to backup his data from the HDD immediately. To have both the regular startup and safe mode startup fail, along with startup repair, and booting a Windows installer off a USB, I can only imagine Hard Drive Failure, or software problem.

Most Windows USB installers will analyze the HDD for Windows installations and sometimes use a portion of it for a paging file, which is why it could be failing to boot. Take the hard drive out and see if it will boot into the Windows USB installer. If it does, presto, hard drive failure. If it doesn't, then it's got to be some other piece of hardware.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

When you used the usb with a windows install, did you booted from the usb? that is even before the OS loads up. Booting from the USB should not give errors because you are not touching the HDD

it loaded files and after that it showed Starting windows.

it loaded files and after that it showed Starting windows.

Yes it should appear the gray bar that says windows is loading files and then start the installation process, then you could select repair options, untill then no problem should be detected because you are not using the HDD

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

Yes it should appear the gray bar that says windows is loading files and then start the installation process, then you could select repair options, untill then no problem should be detected because you are not using the HDD

It just showd Starting windows after loading files, but it did not show the language options. Aparently this are the first options, i just rechecked.

Your best option in this instance is to backup his data from the HDD immediately. To have both the regular startup and safe mode startup fail, along with startup repair, and booting a Windows installer off a USB, I can only imagine Hard Drive Failure, or software problem.

Most Windows USB installers will analyze the HDD for Windows installations and sometimes use a portion of it for a paging file, which is why it could be failing to boot. Take the hard drive out and see if it will boot into the Windows USB installer. If it does, presto, hard drive failure. If it doesn't, then it's got to be some other piece of hardware.

I don't think a backup is needed considering that the only programs installed are chrome, skype and yahoo messenger and the other partition is empty (it's an old ladys 5 year old laptop).

Most laptop manufacturers have built in diagnostics. I'd use that to run RAM and HDD tests, just to make sure. You can also try reseating the RAM and see if that helps. 

If the diagnostics give everything a pass, I would then use the recovery disk (or partition, whatever the case may be) to use CMD to run CHKDSK /f and see if it fixes anything.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

I had the same thing with my 4 year old hp laptop some months ago. Ended up being the hdd, so i couldnt reinstall windows as it was backed up on the hdd. Goddamn hp crap.

Did make me get my current desktop which im absolutely happy with :)

My rig. Case & psu: evga hadron air. Cpu: Intel i5 4690k. Gpu: MSI gtx970 4gd5 OC. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z97n gaming 3. Ram: 2x4gb Crucial Balistics Tactical @ 1866mhz. Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B se2. Ssd: Crucial mx100 512gb.

It just showd Starting windows after loading files, but it did not show the language options. Aparently this are the first options, i just rechecked.

Wow thats really strange, try doing the same but without the HDD inserted in the laptop, if the problem persists then it could be a RAM issue or maybe the MB.