2 Desktops using internet?

GamerGuy
Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,

Three options: 

Run an Ethernet cable from the router to the desktop. 

Buy a PCI Wireless card for the Desktop. (Decent ones are $30~) 

Buy a USB Wireless Adapter. These work okay, and I use one, but I'd definitely do option one or two first if I had the choice. 

Hey, I have the router which is used for wifi in my house and is plugged into my rig.

I want to get my mom a desktop too but how exactly will it be able to use internet? Desktops can't use wifi if I recall correctly, right? 

(The 2 desktops will be 3~ rooms away from each other, how can I provide internet to both?)

hi

Three options: 

Buy a USB Wireless Adapter. These work okay, and I use one, but I'd definitely do option one or two first if I had the choice. 

Three options: 

Can you please recommend a PCI Wireless card as cheap as possible? Since this is a 300$ build used for just surfing the web, would rather safe for an SSD here or something.

hi

Can you please recommend a PCI Wireless card as cheap as possible? Since this is a 300$ build used for just surfing the web, would rather safe for an SSD here or something.

Only one I've ever worked with was for a friend's build. he used this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&cm_re=PCI_Wireless_card-_-33-320-074-_-Product

Can't do a full personal opinion, but I never remember him having had any issues with it.

Only one I've ever worked with was for a friend's build. he used this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&cm_re=PCI_Wireless_card-_-33-320-074-_-Product

Can't do a full personal opinion, but I never remember him having had any issues with it.

Thanks, all I do is plug this in the IO shield correct?

hi

This is what I'm currently using when I don't have access to a wire:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

It's a great card so far, my only complaint is that it isn't AC compatible, which is no big deal considering it was out before AC was a mainstream standard. It functions amazingly well on both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands. I've been using mine on both bands (5 where available) for about 2 years now.

Again, I only use it when I don't have access to an Ethernet cable, so basically when I'm at a LAN party, or when I decide to move my rig into another room.

When it comes to getting signal to the wireless computers, the closer to the access point, the better. Without getting into wireless theory and signal loss, a general thing to note is that when signal has to pass through drywall, you will lose half of your signal, and you also have to worry about wireless interference from microwaves, some light fixtures, and other 2.4GHz band devices. Basically, avoid the kitchen like fucking wildfire, and try to keep as few walls in the way as possible.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Thanks, all I do is plug this in the IO shield correct?

You plug it into the PCI slot on your motherboard, which will look very distinct, and be in lien with the PCI brackets on the back of the case. Plug it in, and start Windows. Go to the ASUS website, and search for that specific model. Download its latest drivers and install it. You'll want to download the drivers on your PC and transfer them to the other desktop, obviously.