Help with windows 8 updates fails

Hi there,

Since it is a rather reported issue on the web I guess there is a thread in here somewhere, but I couldn't find.. so if you know of a thread redirect me to there :)

Anyway to the problem. I have a laptop that had win7 ultimate, and wanted to upgrade it to 8.1. since the direct move to 8.1 deletes the apps I decided to pass through win8. everything was OK, kept (most) of my apps just fine and when I wanted to upgrade to 8.1 it asked me to update to the latest win8 updates, so I did.

After about half an hour of downloading and installing it asked to restart (roughly 131 updates), and so I did. while rebooting it reached the screen saying:

Failure configuring Windows updatesReverting changes

and since then it is stuck (well over 2 hours now). Is there anything I can do to help the pc? or I should just wait until it finishes and then do the updates in smaller chunks?

Many thanks in advance!

btw, it is a Samsung NP900x (256GB SSD, 4GB Ram and 3rd generation Core I5, so I think it should be able to handle the update...)

Edit: It seems to restart from time to time, and the simply continues with the reverting (does not seem to end as far as I can see...)

Go to Control Panel. Under the "Action Center" heading, click on "Troubleshoot common computer problems". Once there, look under "System and Security". You'll see an option that says "Fix problems with Windows Update". 

Open that. Before you run it, click on the blue "Advanced" link and select the "Run as Administrator" option. Then click "Next". It's all automatic from there. It will either give a successful report and the updates will work again, or it will give an error which you can post back here. 

Good luck!

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Thanks very much! will test this out once the computer will run again :) (still stuck at that screen)

Are talking about when you restart after using Windows Update?   That can take a long time for me as well, the longest was about  an hour , stuck at the preparing windows update screen, Finally the Driver LED will Start to blink  then it will configure Windows Update 30% , then boots into Windows. Though removing certain Updates can be even longer. When that happens it is always at least 45 minutes.  Even now, Back on Windows 8 (from 8 to 8.1 to 8)  It now does this when i remove an update. Though Once removed the OS seems to work better.

Microsoft , imo, will never fix this issue with Updating through the app store or Windows Update. I tried using it for Win 8 to 8.1 and the OS collapsed under itself after about 10 days.  

Though there are countless Threads , posts ,  and complaints.  Many on a Microsoft site, About Windows Upgrade/ Update to Win 8.1 Some are with an unusable computer from this upgrade path. 

Thanks very much! will test this out once the computer will run again :) (still stuck at that screen)

If it's been stuck at the "Reverting Changes" screen for over two hours, then go ahead and try shutting the computer down by holding down the power button. Yes, there is a risk of damaging the system files, but at this point there really isn't another option that I'm aware of.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

RossMadness, on 02 Feb 2015 - 4:19 PM, said:

If it's been stuck at the "Reverting Changes" screen for over two hours, then go ahead and try shutting the computer down by holding down the power button. Yes, there is a risk of damaging the system files, but at this point there really isn't another option that I'm aware of.

It actually did at one point manage to go back to the windows desktop normally, at that point (after looking on the web) I found that sometimes doing small chunks of the large updates (small No. at a time) might help, It did not so it went back to the reverting. It has now finished reverting again, I did what you said in the Action Center, now updating again, hopefully it will work this time!

Many Thanks for the help!

It actually did at one point manage to go back to the windows desktop normally, at that point (after looking on the web) I found that sometimes doing small chunks of the large updates (small No. at a time) might help, It did not so it went back to the reverting. It has now finished reverting again, I did what you said in the Action Center, now updating again, hopefully it will work this time!

Many Thanks for the help!

Did the Troubleshooter show any errors? Did it generate a list of fixes that were performed? Most importantly, did the updates work? Ha ha.

CompTIA A+ Certified