Moving smaller SSD to larger RAID 0 SSD array

I have a 250GB 840 EVO, and it's just not enough space. There are 250GB 850 EVOs on sale right now, and I'm thinking of upgrading, and making it RAID 0.

Short questions, is there a super easy way to create and restore an image from a single SSD to a larger RAID 0 array of SSDs?

Keep in mind that I currently have symbolic links to HDDs on the SSD. I don't know if they would potentially break those links.

I have a 250GB 840 EVO, and it's just not enough space. There are 250GB 850 EVOs on sale right now, and I'm thinking of upgrading, and making it RAID 0.

Short questions, is there a super easy way to create and restore an image from a single SSD to a larger RAID 0 array of SSDs?

Keep in mind that I currently have symbolic links to HDDs on the SSD. I don't know if they would potentially break those links.

Yes, if you use a cloning software such as AOMEI Backupper (though version 2.X requires you to pay for premium to clone a drive, you can still clone a partition fine, version 1.x doesn't have this limitation). 

I doubt any issues would be created unless those symbolic links rely on drive letters if on Windows, though I doubt you are on Windows. That may create issues if you are on Linux.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yes, if you use a cloning software such as AOMEI Backupper (though version 2.X requires you to pay for premium to clone a drive, you can still clone a partition fine, version 1.x doesn't have this limitation). 

I doubt any issues would be created unless those symbolic links rely on drive letters if on Windows, though I doubt you are on Windows. That may create issues if you are on Linux.

And the fact that I'd be going from a single SSD to a RAID array wouldn't cause any issues?

There shouldn't be any issues from going from 1 to a raid 0. You will however require a second (actually third I guess) drive in order to back your system up onto when you are creating the array.

I did this with my single Intel 330 series when I realized 240GB wasn't enough. I used the built in system image tool that is part of Win 7 and 8. However, there MAY be issues with this tool not being able to back up your disk if you are running on Windows 8.1 if you upgraded from 8.

When in doubt, re-format.

And the fact that I'd be going from a single SSD to a RAID array wouldn't cause any issues?

None. There would be no difference between that setup and a setup where you just installed everything directly to a single SSD.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.