Rusty rad?

spwath

my new radiator looks rusty, only from one side. Is this a problem?

Not rusty:
IMG_20150129_113147202.jpg

Rusty: 

IMG_20150129_113137996.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

pretty sure its not rust, i think its just the color of the copper used in the radiator.

pretty sure its not rust, i think its just the color of the copper used in the radiator.

right right, forgot copper was that color lol...

gues its just not well painted

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Any chance you can take a little bit better photo for us?

Rust is really the chemical degradation of the metal reacting to oxygen.. it isn't like the rad will explode or something, but eventually it may leak and really you don't want those types of contaminants in your loop.

Did you just buy this?

Also to note: copper can corrode (normal) but can not rust (chemically impossible) 

Any chance you can take a little bit better photo for us?

Rust is really the chemical degradation of the metal reacting to oxygen.. it isn't like the rad will explode or something, but eventually it may leak and really you don't want those types of contaminants in your loop.

Did you just buy this?

Yes, like 10 min ago.

I think it's just the copper, not rust.

Also to note: copper can corrode (normal) but can not rust (chemically impossible)

Yeah, kinda mind blanked, copper is rust colored...

right right, forgot copper was that color lol...

gues its just not well painted

yeah they ususally paint the fins only superficially. Exposed copper is better at exchanging heat because paint acts as somewhat of an insulator. Oh yeah, and corroded copper looks like this:

copper-metal-corrosion-10420611.jpg

Yeah, kinda mind blanked, copper is rust colored...

If you just unboxed it it's definitely not rust, unless for some reason the box it was in was wet, and was like that for an extended period of time. It's very safe to say that it is just exposed copper.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

yeah they ususally paint the fins only superficially. Exposed copper is better at exchanging heat because paint acts as somewhat of an insulator. Oh yeah, and corroded copper looks like this:

copper-metal-corrosion-10420611.jpg

Right, looks like there is a little of that, does that matter?

Right, looks like there is a little of that, does that matter?

No, its normal for exposed metal to corrode. It'll be several decades before the corrosion would actually start affecting performance.

No, its normal for exposed metal to corrode. It'll be several decades before the corrosion would actually start affecting performance.

K great

It's ok copper's getting dark with time, when exposed to air.

But if u wanna get it looking better, use toothbrush and ketchup, or toothpaste.