Android 5.0 coming in october.

M-ursu

Android 5.0 is not just coming to top of line devises.

It is also coming to mid-range devises.

And key feature to be ability to run on low end hardware

All new android 5 is named as "key lime pie".

Sources: http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/06/android-5-klp/ and

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15293/20130211/android-5-0-key-lime-pie-release.htmpost-2255-0-12595600-1372272887.jpeg

What do you guys think?

I think that it is awesome!

And here is logo:

post-2255-0-14955400-1372274019.jpeg

post-2255-0-10184800-1372272941.png

post-2255-0-12595600-1372272887.jpeg

post-2255-0-10184800-1372272941.png

post-2255-0-14955400-1372274019.jpeg

Let's see how long it takes to get to my phone. Updates like to take their time for me

About. god damn. time.

I'm fairly confident it'll be supported on my Galaxy Nexus. Looking forward to seeing its features.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What device are you using?

I have a Droid RAZR but android 4.0 took so long to become available for it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but I am using Bell in Canada. The updates I get do not come directly from Google, but from Samsung so I will have to wait a little bit longer. Still looks very cool though!

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but I am using Bell in Canada. The updates I get do not come directly from Google, but from Samsung so I will have to wait a little bit longer. Still looks very cool though!

I bought my Nexus from Rogers and I've had updates at roughly the same time as the Nexus 4 which is a pure Google device actually sold by Google. There shouldn't be any delay (besides the short delay of rolling out the update in batches) since the Galaxy Nexus has no modifications from the stock Android version.

Both the Nexus 4 and the Galaxy Nexus should get 5.0 at the same time. Other phones (Galaxy S3, S4, DROID RAZR, etc) will have delays due to manufacturer modifications, as well as to some extent, carrier modifications before the phone carrier releases it to users.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Logo is amazing.

My phone is crap, i'll buy a new around tjåhis time probably.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Actually the Galaxy Nexus probably WON'T get Key Lime Pie, typically Nexus devices get 2 major versions of Android before they are phased out of updates. Given 4.1 was the first and 4.2 was the second chances are you won't get 4.3 let alone 5.0 when it comes.

Actually the Galaxy Nexus probably WON'T get Key Lime Pie, typically Nexus devices get 2 major versions of Android before they are phased out of updates. Given 4.1 was the first and 4.2 was the second chances are you won't get 4.3 let alone 5.0 when it comes.

4.1 and 4.2 are both Jelly Bean, and 4.2 is not a major release. 4.3 is also Jelly Bean. Galaxy Nexus launched with 4.0 ICS, and has since gotten the first 2 Jelly Bean updates. Generally, major versions are the ones with the new code names. KLP would actually be the second major update for Galaxy Nexus.

If you go by API Level, the Galaxy Nexus has so far gotten 3 "major" updates. I'm definitely expecting at least 4.3 and 5.0 for the Galaxy Nexus. It's also been a year and a half since the Nexus launched, the updates tend to be discontinued after 2 years. Assuming the October time-frame holds, that's within the 2 years.

4.1 and 4.2 are both Jelly Bean, and 4.2 is not a major release. 4.3 is also Jelly Bean. Galaxy Nexus launched with 4.0 ICS, and has since gotten the first 2 Jelly Bean updates. Generally, major versions are the ones with the new code names. KLP would actually be the second major update for Galaxy Nexus.

If you go by API Level, the Galaxy Nexus has so far gotten 3 "major" updates. I'm definitely expecting at least 4.3 and 5.0 for the Galaxy Nexus. It's also been a year and a half since the Nexus launched, the updates tend to be discontinued after 2 years. Assuming the October time-frame holds, that's within the 2 years.

It doesn't matter what the name the 4.1 and 4.2 updates had, both increased the API levels of Android. It's just like the Nexus One started with 2.1 and went to 2.2 and 2.3 (three API levels total) and Nexus S started with 2.3 and got 4.0 and 4.1 (three API levels total). The Galaxy Nexus has been out for over a year and half now and the Nexus One got discontinued way before that point and there's no reason the Nexus S couldn't run 4.2 but they cut off support to concentrate on newer models. You shouldn't give too much hope to people with Galaxy Nexus phones who would be expecting to get more updates officially when it probably will never come. Google doesn't look to see if you think the updates the to Jelly Bean were "major" but it was  a full release each.

Wonder how fast sony updates xperia z and xperia z ultra to 5.0 probably gonna take a year knowning them lol.

Tough they recently updated to 4.2.2 so maybe they'll manage to be in time with updates.

I'd have doubt about the Xperia Z, Sony isn't known for going above and beyond with updates, especially given by "October" the Xperia Z will be considered an old phone though the Z Ultra for sure :).

Either way, I'm waiting until official announcements before writing it off. Worst case scenario, I can flash ROMs built from source.

Nexus One's support lasted close to 2 years (updates ended officially with the announce of ICS).

Reason why API Level doesn't make much sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus#Comparison_of_phones

Nexus one launched with Eclair, discontinued with Gingerbread. That means it got all Froyo updates as well as Gingerbread. 2 "Major" versions due to code name.

Nexus S launched with Gingerbread. Since then, it got ICS and was discontinued with Jelly Bean. Honeycomb was skipped due to Tablet version. Again, 2 Major code name releases.

If history repeated itself:

Galaxy Nexus launched with ICS. It has since only gotten Jelly Bean updates. Key Lime Pie could be expected for the second major codename release. It's also been 19 months of updates since its launch, which gives it 3-5 more months before it's officially discontinued in terms of updates. They've only discontinued production.

Nexus 4 launched with Jelly Bean, and Key Lime Pie is definite for the Nexus 4. It'll also probably get Lemon Meringue or whatever the codename will be for the letter L.

The rough 2-year lifetime for updates is also visible.

What reason besides being douchy would google have not to release KLP for the nexus?

Either way, I'm waiting until official announcements before writing it off. Worst case scenario, I can flash ROMs built from source.

Nexus One's support lasted close to 2 years (updates ended officially with the announce of ICS).

Reason why API Level doesn't make much sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus#Comparison_of_phones

Nexus one launched with Eclair, discontinued with Gingerbread. That means it got all Froyo updates as well as Gingerbread. 2 "Major" versions due to code name.

Nexus S launched with Gingerbread. Since then, it got ICS and was discontinued with Jelly Bean. Honeycomb was skipped due to Tablet version. Again, 2 Major code name releases.

If history repeated itself:

Galaxy Nexus launched with ICS. It has since only gotten Jelly Bean updates. Key Lime Pie could be expected for the second major codename release. It's also been 19 months of updates since its launch, which gives it 3-5 more months before it's officially discontinued in terms of updates. They've only discontinued production.

Nexus 4 launched with Jelly Bean, and Key Lime Pie is definite for the Nexus 4. It'll also probably get Lemon Meringue or whatever the codename will be for the letter L.

The rough 2-year lifetime for updates is also visible.

You forget the Nexus One only had only year and halfbof support. Android 4.1 and 4.2 were as major an update as 2.2 and 2. were they just decided to forgo making name changes. It's true that the Galaxy Nexus will be getting plenty of custom rom support for the foreseeable future so anyone who can install a custom bootloader is all set.

What reason besides being douchy would google have not to release KLP for the nexus?

It takes man power to support legacy hardware and Google would rather users update to the newer hardware.

Glad to hear :)

ICS is becoming a little old for me :p

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

You forget the Nexus One only had only 1 year of support. Android 4.1 and 4.2 were as major an update as 2.2 and 2. were they just decided to forgo making name changes. It's true that the Galaxy Nexus will be getting plenty of custom rom support for the foreseeable future so anyone who can install a custom bootloader is all set.

It takes man power to support legacy hardware and Google would rather users update to the newer hardware.

It's not like they need to do much drivers, they just give the OS to the owners. It's pretty basic.

It would make google look like EA just saying f*ck you get new phones b*tches with 2-3 year old phones.

It's not like they need to do much drivers, they just give the OS to the owners. It's pretty basic.

It would make google look like EA just saying f*ck you get new phones b*tches with 2-3 year old phones.

Would have it been hard to release Android 4.2 for the Nexus S? No, but they still decided to cut off support.

I have Nexus 4 can't wait 

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Would have it been hard to release Android 4.2 for the Nexus S? No, but they still decided to cut off support.

Yeah, you're right about that, it makes no sense whatsoever (to me at least). 

Could be Samsung's fault too.

xperia z and ultra pretty much same hardware with minor differences actualy.

The Xperia Ultra is a much faster phone with a next generation Snapdragon 800 processor versus the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Z not to mention the size difference in screens though that has nothing to do with updates

Could be Samsung's fault too.

Google creates the updates for the Nexus line, not Samsung... though in the case of the Galaxy Nexus it was Samsung who distributed it for some of the models but Google still originates the updates

Google creates the updates for the Nexus line, not Samsung... though in the case of the Galaxy Nexus it was Samsung who distributed it for some of the models but Google still originates the updates

It's co-developed by Google and Samsung.

It's co-developed by Google and Samsung.

The Nexus line is an Android Open Source Project supported devices. When Google releases the source code for the latest Android, there have certain phones which are designed to be supported out the box with all the necessary code in the source code. Whoever is in-charge of pushing the updates then sends the compiled source will all the proprietary binaries baked in as a OTA update to the phone, sometimes Google, sometimes Samsung and sometimes the carrier depending on model and where you bought it. On non AOSP phones the manufacturer of the phone would normally would have to take that code (who as members of the Open Handset Alliance would have early copies that version of the Android source) and then adapt it to run on their specific phone but the Nexus phones have the advantage of being supported out of the gates. Google then drops phones and tablets from the AOSP project at their own discretion. Samsung has nothing to do with the actual day to day development of Android therefore has nothing to do with what phones stay supported under AOSP. The only involvement Samsung would have is with the binary portion.

Here's a link that tells you the current state of AOSP devices as 4.2

http://source.android.com/source/building-devices.html

This is where Google keeps the proprietary binaries for anyone to use with a compiled AOSP rom and it to be fully functioning 

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

Hope this explains the process better to you

Perhaps Android 5 to come out along side a new nexus device? nexus 5?