be quiet Dark Power Pro 10, worth it?

tmsmith124

Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade soon and have been looking at the different threads regarding PSU.

Is the be quiet series really worth the price you pay? After comparing the Corsair AX860, there seems to be a pretty high mark up for the be quiet. The reviews on Newegg worry me in regards to the Corsair.

Both power supplies function the same way which switching between single and muti rails. What would be a good reason to switch between single and multiple rails?

Thanks!

Hello! I'm looking to upgrade soon and have been looking at the different threads regarding PSU. Is the be quiet series really worth the price you pay? After comparing the Corsair AX860, there seems to be a pretty high mark up for the be quiet. The reviews on Newegg worry me in regards to the Corsair. Both power supplies function the same way which switching between single and muti rails. What would be a good reason to switch between single and multiple rails? Thanks!

Well, they are both really good psus. Do you really need that much wattage for your system?

Also, buy the one that costs less.

Single vs. Multi rail is really unncessary today. Most psus run single 12v rail with over 40amps, which is fine for every modern system. I dont know what multirail does exaclty but i think its better for stuff like multi gpu/cpu systems.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The Flextronic build AXi is the one that has the capability to switch between single rail and multirail. The regular Seasonic build AX does not have this feature.

As for switching between single and multirail mode, it depends on what the system is using for. If you are going to be overclocking and benching to the extreme levels, the ability to switch to single rail mode is helpful, as you won't trip the OCP (Over Current Protection). On the other hand, during your typical workload (your system can be overclock as well, btw), putting your PSU in multi-rail mode is helpful as it adds an extra layer of protection in event of a component failing can cause a short in your system.

It's a nice very nice premium feature to have. The fan and fan profile of the BeQuiet! Dark Power P10 allows it to be among some of the the most quiet PSU on the market (aside from passively cool PSUs of course) even when during high loads. The connectivity of the the modular interface is also excellent, as it offers you various of different cables with different connections for your setup. For example, on the 850w model, if you have a motherboard with a 4 pin CPU connection, there's a single 4-pin cable If you have an 8-pin connection, then there's a separate 4+4 pin cable. There's also a separable cable for motherboards that has two CPU connections. There even a cable with a single SATA connector at the end that you could used for the optical drive. This allow easier routing of cables without having extra unneeded SATA connectors.

quan hit the nail on the head. I bought a dark power pro last month for the specific purpose of overclocking my system, and it is in fact really quiet, but if you just need a decent psu for day to day use or gaming, then it's hard to justify the price tag.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the be quiet has modular cables, which really reduced the amount of crap left unused in my case. A nice feature.

Edited by Tails9429