GTX 980 HDMI Input?

Zaku77

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to input via hdmi to a 980? I ask because I have the ASUS PG278Q monitor, which only has a single Displayport connection. So I'm trying to see if I can jerry-rig something together by connecting it to my 980 via HDMI and then outputting that through the monitor that is connected with display port. I have absolutely no idea if this is possible, but it would be sweet if it was.

only 1dp port on your gpu? 

get an adpater or use one of the 2 monintors with hdmi

only 1dp port on your gpu? 

get an adpater or use one of the 2 monintors with hdmi

The monitor I use only has a single dp port. So I was trying to connect another device to it by going through my 980, but it doesn't look like that's possible.

The monitor I use only has a single dp port. So I was trying to connect another device to it by going through my 980, but it doesn't look like that's possible.

why not connect the device directly to the gpu?

why not connect the device directly to the gpu?

I don't think you're quite understanding my initial question. I want to use my monitor with a device other than my computer. But the monitor only has a single dp port; that's the only way to connect to it. So I was hoping that I could use my 980--which is connected to it--as a kind of pass through in order for the other device to display on the monitor.

I don't think you're quite understanding my initial question. I want to use my monitor with a device other than my computer. But the monitor only has a single dp port; that's the only way to connect to it. So I was hoping that I could use my 980--which is connected to it--as a kind of pass through in order for the other device to display on the monitor.

So something like this.

http://store.cableorganizer.com/p-110327-2-x-1-displayport-switch.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAi52mBRDkq5bX0vq1-RQSJAAq_7IG0owcUX4FhImavw7xenLMClOE6VmASv7yTfvRl1nc7RoCfG_w_wcB

That seems like a cool idea. Biggest problem is that the device only has HDMI out, so I would need an hdmi --> DP converter--not even sure if there is such a thing--and that DP switcher is really spendy. That could definitely be a solution, though.

That seems like a cool idea. Biggest problem is that the device only has HDMI out, so I would need an hdmi --> DP converter--not even sure if there is such a thing--and that DP switcher is really spendy. That could definitely be a solution, though.

Yeah you would need an actual HDMI to DP converter, that's the only way. A DisplayPort input on a monitor will only accept DP signals, not HDMI through a simple adapter.

Says 2 displayport sources to one displayport monitor. To be honest my initial Google search didn't really find any good name brands, I'll check around see if there is a better one.

Here is another one and not as nearly shady looking. Though still a bit steep in price.

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-CE-KV0411-S1-2-Port-DisplayPort-Switch/dp/B007ZT1GQ6

That does look like a good option, actually! If I can find a proper HDMI --> Displayport solution to go with it, then I might just go down that route.

There is something about having an active display port adapter in order for HDMI to DP to work right. To be honest I don't know enough about DP converting so hopefully another forum member can help out. Though if you want to shop around for similar solutions to the one I linked the devices are "displayport switches". If you have any other questions just shoot me a tell. Have a good day.