need advice for PSU

benp
Go to solution Solved by benp,

OK, im considering this now. So if i upgrade to an i3, will it at least be better than an fx 6300? sorry, i have no experience with intel.

thanks for setting me on the right upgrade path, i really appreciate it. i decided to go with an asrock h97 pro 4 and a core i3 4370. spent a little more than my budget, but it will be worth it in the future.

im currently running an Athlon II x2 255 with an r7 260x gpu, i would like to upgrade my cpu to the fx-8350 but the power supply im currently using is an old Enhance 430w taken from an old video server. will this be adequate to power my components? or will i need to upgrade? btw i also have 2 HDDs an optical drive, 2 case fan and a hyper 212 eveo cpu cooler. any advice is appreciated thanks in advance.

1. No that PSu is not enough

2. Don't get an FX for gaming

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

1. No that PSu is not enough

2. Don't get an FX for gaming

hi, any recommendations? i have an ASRock 970 am3+ and quite strapped for cash

That other guy is wrong, that PSU is enough. You can probably even do a GPU upgrade and still be enough. FX is fine for gaming, its just not as good as an i5.

Not exactly the same spec, but my media pc running an 8320 and a 270 pulls about 415w from the wall when im playing CS:GO

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

If you've already got the AM3+ board then go for it.

I'd recommend a new PSU. Look into an EVGA 500W they're usually pretty cheap

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

FX is fine for gaming, its just not as good as an i5.

or some i3s

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

or some i3s

Well in single threaded games i3 will crush 8350, but if it has any sort of multi thread optimization(some newer games do) the 8350 performs pretty alright. Still not as good as the cheapest i5 though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

If you've already got the AM3+ board then go for it.

I'd recommend a new PSU. Look into an EVGA 500W they're usually pretty cheap

thanks man, ill definitely look into a 500w psu, can u recommend anything modular? preferably from ncix

unforunately i cant find anything modular from eVGA. what do you think about this though http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-cx-series-cx500m-500w-52-78576-1356.htm

That PSU is a good option and so is an upgrade to an FX-8350 BUT upgrading to an Intel 1150 platform would still be doable for a similar price

PSU you listed

Cheapest Intel Core i3 = $115

Asrock H97M Pro 4 or other cheap 4+ phase VRM mobo = $80

The upgrade in gaming performance will still be huge, but in a while if you want to upgrade you can get an Intel Core i5 or i7 that smokes an FX series CPU in most applications (including games)

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

im currently running an Athlon II x2 255 with an r7 260x gpu, i would like to upgrade my cpu to the fx-8350 but the power supply im currently using is an old Enhance 430w taken from an old video server. will this be adequate to power my components? or will i need to upgrade? btw i also have 2 HDDs an optical drive, 2 case fan and a hyper 212 eveo cpu cooler. any advice is appreciated thanks in advance.

What is the power phases on your current motherboard.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

unforunately i cant find anything modular from eVGA. what do you think about this though http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-cx-series-cx500m-500w-52-78576-1356.htm

That's pretty good, esp with that rebate offer.

That PSU is a good option and so is an upgrade to an FX-8350 BUT upgrading to an Intel 1150 platform would still be doable for a similar price

PSU you listed

The upgrade in gaming performance will still be huge, but in a while if you want to upgrade you can get an Intel Core i5 or i7 that smokes an FX series CPU in most applications (including games)

This is an option too. You could also get a cheap H81M motherboard for around $45.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Another option on the PSU that is decent is from newegg.ca

Click

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

PSU you listed

OK, im considering this now. So if i upgrade to an i3, will it at least be better than an fx 6300? sorry, i have no experience with intel.

thanks for setting me on the right upgrade path, i really appreciate it. i decided to go with an asrock h97 pro 4 and a core i3 4370. spent a little more than my budget, but it will be worth it in the future.

You won't regret even though I like supporting the underdog (AMD) sometimes it's not worth it. I'm sure you will be happy with that CPU just keep in mind you CANNOT overclock Core i3 Haswell CPUs and achieve any meaningful result

Not really. If you're playing AAA titles, an FX CPU will actually pull ahead of the i3. I'm not sure why everyone here is bashing on the FX. Unless you play specifically MMOs, the i3 will actually be worse. An i5 will be better then FX in all gaming situations but not i3. Plus you already have the motherboard so that's also putting out more money for the same if not worse performance....

"Rawr XD"