X99 or Z97

Hey guys, I really need help deciding on what platform to go with. I plan on gaming with some video ecoding and music editing on this build. Also any suggestions on my part list would be great.

Trying to keep my budget under $1800

Whats getting me is build for the now or wait for Skylake.

Z97

intel 4790k

MSI gaming 5 mobo

Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb ram

Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD

WD Black 2tb

EVGA 970

Corsair 750m

Cooler Master HAF XB evo

X99

Intel 5820k

MSI X99S

Kingston HyperX Predator 16gb ram

Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD

WD Black 2tb

EVGA 970

Corsair 750m

Cooler Master HAF XB evo

I am still unsure on what water cooler to use.

Are you going to be playing games of any type? If so, which games?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I'd go Z97 unless render times are very important to you. 

If you need to get the budget down, then get a Seagate Barracuda and a cheaper ssd.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Are you planning to do the video encoding and music editing on a daily basis ? Because if not and the computer gonna be more for gaming Z97 it is :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Z97 will do fine fir what you're doing. 

There's not much point in waiting for Skylake, I think it's still a while off, and Haswell-R is good. 

Z97 would be better if you're just gaming. Going with the X99 Architecture will restrict you to available parts. I went looking thinking up a build using the X99 and that made it so I had to select DDR4 ram, go with Z97 because going with X99 will sometimes cost you more if you have to go with the higher processors. Also, and you could go with an ASUS Z97-A if it will work with your system, it would be nice, and might be cheaper.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

WOW! I got up to get a snack and i get all these comments...You guys rock!!!!

This will be more so a gaming rig. I will be playing WoW , GTA5 and more so the new demading games coming this year and a few of last years games.

I do at least 1 to 2 videos week and 1 audio file here and there.

I am finally replacing my desktop that ive had for 4 years. So I want to make it as good as i can.

WOW! I got up to get a snack and i get all these comments...You guys rock!!!!

This will be more so a gaming rig. I will be playing WoW , GTA5 and more so the new demading games coming this year and a few of last years games.

I do at least 1 to 2 videos week and 1 audio file here and there.

I am finally replacing my desktop that ive had for 4 years. So I want to make it as good as i can.

Well, if you're not doing serious editing where time is a HUGE factor, then I would go with Z97, save a few hundred dollars and then upgrade in the future when you need more performance. In the long run going with Z97 and upgrading Z370 (four years from now) would be cheaper and yield better performance than going X99 now -- presumably -- no one knows exactly whats going to happen in the years to come. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, if you're not doing serious editing where time is a HUGE factor, then I would go with Z97, save a few hundred dollars and then upgrade in the future when you need more performance. In the long run going with Z97 and upgrading Z370 (four years from now) would be cheaper and yield better performance than going X99 now -- presumably -- no one knows exactly whats going to happen in the years to come. 

This is exactly what i need to hear/see. What type of cooler should i get? not planning on any serious OC'ing other than just an auto oc.

This is exactly what i need to hear/see. What type of cooler should i get? not planning on any serious OC'ing other than just an auto oc.

I would actually manually overclock since you can often get better temps/lower voltages/higher overclocks. 

For a 4790k I would go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 for more reasonable overclocks, and something like an Noctua NH-D14/D15, or Corsair H105 for more serious overclocks. 

A high end air cooler (like the D14/D15) is just as good if not better than an AIO in terms of performance, reliability, and noise, but also means you have a bulky heatsink in the middle of your case (so it comes down to personal preference). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler