Dynamic Contrast Ratio - I need a decisive thread.

Pyroven

Okay so I have a BenQ GL2250. It's a 1080p TN panel. The colours on it look absolutely fine to me, the look pretty accurate and in comparison to a TV I have, are very full.

The specs are as follows:

12M:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

1000:1 Contrast

250 cd/m2

However, while looking at some Korean monitors, I found that a PLS had a DCR of 50k:1 and an IPS had a DCR of 2M:1.

I thought Dynamic Contrast ratio was the difference between max and min colour output. I thought it was what made whites white and blacks black and reds red.

Can someone explain to me why therefore, my TN appears to have better colour reproduction than an IPS?

Okay so I have a BenQ GL2250. It's a 1080p TN panel. The colours on it look absolutely fine to me, the look pretty accurate and in comparison to a TV I have, are very full.

The specs are as follows:

12M:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

1000:1 Contrast

250 cd/m2

However, while looking at some Korean monitors, I found that a PLS had a DCR of 50k:1 and an IPS had a DCR of 2M:1.

I thought Dynamic Contrast ratio was the difference between max and min colour output. I thought it was what made whites white and blacks black and reds red.

Can someone explain to me why therefore, my TN appears to have better colour reproduction than an IPS?

TN master race reporting in.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

TN master race reporting in.

Meh, Monitor is a monitor, As long as it shows the picture you want it is fine to me.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

screen manufacturers are famous for making up contrast ratio values :) samsung came up with something like "mega infinity" on a tn panel (which by the way my monitor shares and does NOT have infinite contrast ratio :P) at one point.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Dynamic contrast ratios are meaningless figures, essentially made-up numbers at this point. Look at static contrast ratios, not often listed since the numbers aren't as big. Most monitors are around 1000:1 true contrast ratio.

Contrast also isn't what determines color fidelity, it's just the ratio between the brightest and darkest that the monitor can display. It has more to do with black levels than color. The "redness of reds" comes from width of color gamut. If you want red reds and blue blues then you need a wide-gamut display, however most content is not designed for this and will appear quite oversaturated on such a monitor.

All TN and IPS have 1000:1 contrast

VA has 3000:1 - 5000:1 contrast

OLED has ACTUAL infinite contrast.... but now that doesnt mean as much on paper cuz we apparently had "MEGAZOMG INFENAITE CONTRAST TN" for quite a while.

Thank marketing scum.

As others have said, the contrast ratio is not representative of colour reproduction, the DYNAMIC contrast ratio even less so. The DCR is usually a result of techniques like dimming the backlight when the screen is displaying black, which compared to when the screen is displaying a bright image, artificially increases the contrast ratio - but it is mainly a meaningless number.

When looking at monitors for their colour reproduction, other things you want to consider are viewing angles and colour gamut, as well as the panel's colour temperature and gamma. But in general it is safe to say IPS and similar technologies will have a significant advantage in accuracy over TN panels.

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V