Radeon R9 290 Help

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

Yes, you need to connect both, and no, a regular psu does not risk to overvolt it. What psu do you have though?

@TakeToTheShadows btw welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics :)

I just got a Sapphire R9 290 and I'm wondering do I need to connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin connections from the psu and is there any chance of over volting it? Also the 6 pin connector from my psu is red but still outputs the same 12v as all the others does that mean anything?

yeah the card needs both connectors. what psu do you have?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

yeah the card needs both connectors. what psu do you have?

It's a shitty pps pulse power but it is 750w so It should be enough right?

Yes, you need to connect both, and no, a regular psu does not risk to overvolt it. What psu do you have though?

@TakeToTheShadows btw welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a shitty pps pulse power but it is 750w so It should be enough right?

It should be fine but i would suggest getting a brand named PSU with a decent efficiency rating.

It should be fine but i would suggest getting a brand named PSU with a decent efficiency rating.

Yeah it's a garbage psu I know It got put in by some idiot who overcharged by a mile and a half. anyway thanks for the help I was a bit doubtful about forums before but everything I've posted on here has got replies in seconds  :lol:

I just got a Sapphire R9 290 and I'm wondering do I need to connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin connections from the psu and is there any chance of over volting it? Also the 6 pin connector from my psu is red but still outputs the same 12v as all the others does that mean anything?

You need to connect all connectors, or the card will not function properly.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I looked online for pps pulse 750 watt power supply specs, and every example I saw only had a single pci-e 6 pin connector, but no 8 pin or 6+2 pin. there was a 4+4 pin cpu connector, but that is not compatible.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yeah it's a garbage psu I know It got put in by some idiot who overcharged by a mile and a half. anyway thanks for the help I was a bit doubtful about forums before but everything I've posted on here has got replies in seconds  :lol:

Glad you enjoy the experience here ^^

be careful with psus though, there is more than wattage to them. If it's VERY bad it could fry your components at the first power surge.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I looked online for pps pulse 750 watt power supply specs, and every example I saw only had a single pci-e 6 pin connector, but no 8 pin or 6+2 pin. there was a 4+4 pin cpu connector, but that is not compatible.

Yes but the card comes with an 8 and 6 pin to regular power adapters  

Yes but the card comes with an 8 and 6 pin to regular power adapters  

For a single 290 you are probably ok then as long as you don't have everything running off of a single string of Molex connectors (the flat 4 pin plugs), but I really would recommend getting a better psu as soon as you can afford to. even a decent 600 Watt from a good brand will be fine. A rosewill 630 Green is a great example of a good PSU that can be found cheap, but you can find a cheap EVGA 600 watt bronze PSU sometimes on sale sometimes too.

For a single 290 you are probably ok then as long as you don't have everything running off of a single string of Molex connectors (the flat 4 pin plugs), but I really would recommend getting a better psu as soon as you can afford to. even a decent 600 Watt from a good brand will be fine. A rosewill 630 Green is a great example of a good PSU that can be found cheap, but you can find a cheap EVGA 600 watt bronze PSU sometimes on sale sometimes too.

Thanks yeah It's now using the six pin and an eight pin adapter and when I power it on it just gives me one long and two short which is gpu error I think but the fans are running so I don't know what to do :/

Thanks yeah It's now using the six pin and an eight pin adapter and when I power it on it just gives me one long and two short which is gpu error I think but the fans are running so I don't know what to do :/

do you have a cpu with integrated graphics? if so, try to boot with the card removed.

*edit* if its an asus motherboard it could be a system memory error.

do you have a cpu with integrated graphics? if so, try to boot with the card removed.

No it's an amd fx 4170

No it's an amd fx 4170

try to remove the gpu and reseat it just to make sure. otherwise I'm not sure what else it could be. Molex plugs sometimes need the wires pushed in individually as the wires can be push out partly when you are plugging them in, that may be the case.

try to remove the gpu and reseat it just to make sure. otherwise I'm not sure what else it could be. Molex plugs sometimes need the wires pushed in individually as the wires can be push out partly when you are plugging them in, that may be the case.

Thanks for the help

My ram wasn't seated properly sorry for the noobish mistake

My ram wasn't seated properly sorry for the noobish mistake

cool. glad its working.