SLI temps very strange

VictorVitao666

I've got dual 970s in SLI, they are MSI Twin Forzer V, and the temperature reading i've got are very strange.

When idle the first card is 35C but the second card is 55C or more some times. I've switched their places and the same readings appear so the problem is not the position. But the real strange thing is in a load scenario their temps reach about the same, around 66C although the hotter card some times reaches 75C. So i was wondering what the problem was, if anyone knows it, and what are the possible solutions.

Please help,

Thank you

Could be a problem with the cooler, I'd contact MSI and see what they think, otherwise, it might be a good option to RMA the card with MSI, as it could also be a bad thermal paste application (put Linus' new guide to good use :lol: )

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Perhaps different fan profiles? 

Also, nice to see a ghost fan ;)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Perhaps different fan profiles? 

Also, nice to see a ghost fan ;)

The fans don't start spinning until the gpu reaches 60C so is not that. Thanks man been a Ghost fan since the beginning.

Could be a problem with the cooler, I'd contact MSI and see what they think, otherwise, it might be a good option to RMA the card with MSI, as it could also be a bad thermal paste application (put Linus' new guide to good use :lol: )

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that because i bought the card in the US but i live in Brazil so the RMA isn't possible. I will probably be replacing the thermal paste on that. Thanks dough

The top card will naturally be hotter because its supply of air is more limited by the card below and what air it is getting is hotter because it's been heated by the second card below it. If you have your monitors plugged into your top card then that can have an effect; with my monitor set up my top card's clocks don't idle contributing to a 10c increase in idle temperatures. For example, my top 980 is at 53c and my bottom 980 is at 35c (these readings are slightly out, was playing Far Cry 4 5 minutes ago). Your readings are slightly higher than I might have expected (normally I'd expect ~30-35c for the bottom card and ~45-50c for the top card) but my temperatures are based on cold London rather hot Brazil.

tl;dr nothing to be worried about although that is a slightly larger (1-3c or so) difference than you might expect.

The fans don't start spinning until the gpu reaches 60C so is not that. Thanks man been a Ghost fan since the beginning.

I see, to be honest though. I'd agree with what DavidTheWin said. And your temps may be somewhat high, but they're still pretty good :)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?