Is a pcie 16_1 slot a gen 1.0 slot?

MatejAustria
Go to solution Solved by LukaP,

It is an old computer from a friend of mine and he has no specs.

I just don't want to take the risk of buying a new gpu for him without knowing if it will fit

oh. well if its a x16 slot it will fit, and work, and bandwith wont be a problem, since pcie1.1 x16 is enough for most GPUs these days...

be more wary about the PSU

Read the board specifications

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

its not, its 3.0

every slot is 3.0 if its a new board, apart from the 2.0 ones that come from the PCH, but those are x1

the 16_1 denotes the second expansion slot

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

PCI E 1.0 spec has a bandwidth of 250GB/S, 2.0 is double that. 

The difference is primarily bandwidth.

​Almost all modern motherboard will utilize 3.0.

How can I tell the difference between gen 1.0 , 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0?

The _1 (_2, _3) is just the number of the slot not the spec.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Read the board specifications

its not, its 3.0

every slot is 3.0 if its a new board, apart from the 2.0 ones that come from the PCH, but those are x1

the 16_1 denotes the second expansion slot

PCI E 1.0 spec has a bandwidth of 250GB/S, 2.0 is double that. 

The difference is primarily bandwidth.

​Almost all modern motherboard will utilize 3.0.

The _1 (_2, _3) is just the number of the slot not the spec.

I just don't want to take the risk of buying a new gpu for him without knowing if it will fit

oh. well if its a x16 slot it will fit, and work, and bandwith wont be a problem, since pcie1.1 x16 is enough for most GPUs these days...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

but nvidia gpus need to be plugged into a 3.0

but nvidia gpus need to be plugged into a 3.0

no. where did you hear that... im running a 770 in a 2.0 slot, as well as a 650ti boost in a 1.1... 

the only thing nvidia artificially limits is SLI needs to be an x8 slot. but it doesnt matter what generation.

edit

i think you have problems with the terms.

PCIe is the interface

1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 are the generations, each big number is 2x bandwith

_0, _1, ... are the slot numbers, and have nothing to do with anything

x1, x2, x4, x8, x16, (x32) are the lanes, more lanes, more bandwiht

no. where did you hear that... im running a 770 in a 2.0 slot, as well as a 650ti boost in a 1.1... 

the only thing nvidia artificially limits is SLI needs to be an x8 slot. but it doesnt matter what generation.

ok, thx