Decision Switch! going for gaming rig(suggestions please)

Well, now that I magically have a laptop for college, I really want to spend my 1500$  for a decent gaming rig. They only other thing I have is a keyboard and mouse; everything else I lack. If possible can you guys suggest a build around a gtx770. Thanks for any help.

Are you using it for anything other than gaming?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Are you using it for anything other than gaming?

Nope, not really.

I would suggest checking out this build guide:

You beat me to the punch.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I've suscribed to linus and watched nearly all of his videos. As cool as the build is, I don't want a 660 at all.  I might just get prebuilt as it would be easier to deal with in terms of attaining.

I've suscribed to linus and watched nearly all of his videos. As cool as the build is, I don't want a 660 at all.  I might just get prebuilt as it would be easier to deal with in terms of attaining.

I would suggest going ahead and building your own. You will have much better upgradability, and will enjoy putting the time in to make your own. You will learn a lot about computers, and have fun doing it. Build your system around an i5 4670k and the GTX 770 that you want. Case is your personal preference, but maybe a Fractal Design Define r4. Go with a high quality 550w or so PSU, such as the Seasonic G Series 550W power supply. Motherboard is also personal preference in terms of the look and functions that you need it to do. 

What motherboard are you thinking of getting are you going air cooling or water cooling

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aICd

The optical drive is totally optional.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aICd

The optical drive is totally optional.

That's an excellent build.  Don't know if I care for the aesthetics or not but going Patriotic is never a bad thing...  ^_^

Linus' build is great but the whole point of building is to suit your tastes and needs.  Need more than a 660?  go with WoodenMarker's build.  Only want aesthetics (like I sometimes do...  :blush: ), go with something else.  It's all up to you!

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).