Diaphragm irregularity

Quantzer
Go to solution Solved by creatip123,

The real life effect is not as big as the imagined effect, it will stay at the back of your head. It's like if you dropped your headphone to the floor. It may not do any damage, but you feel that it really does something bad to the extent that you feel it sounds worse than before. It's a negative placebo effect, which albeit being aware of it, it's hard not to get affected by it. 

If you want to, RMA it while it's still new.

TBH, small defects are quite common in mass production things. Some defects are small, while others are not so small. That's why they have warranty and after sales service. 

Sooo...I got my akg k7xx recently and was quite pleased with them. But then one day out of curiosity I took off ear cushions and noticed a little dent on diaphragm of the left driver. It isn't big but I am a little worried about how does that affect sound quality. Conclusion is does a dent affect sound quality?
Sorry for picture quality but dent can be seen.

post-86994-0-69451800-1422040641_thumb.j

post-86994-0-62305800-1422040664_thumb.j

post-86994-0-73695900-1422040689_thumb.j

post-86994-0-95003100-1422040724_thumb.j

It affects but not too much that you can notice. If its under warranty than replace it.

It affects but not too much that you can notice. If its under warranty than replace it.

I said I got them recently...

Any other thoughts?

The real life effect is not as big as the imagined effect, it will stay at the back of your head. It's like if you dropped your headphone to the floor. It may not do any damage, but you feel that it really does something bad to the extent that you feel it sounds worse than before. It's a negative placebo effect, which albeit being aware of it, it's hard not to get affected by it. 

If you want to, RMA it while it's still new.

TBH, small defects are quite common in mass production things. Some defects are small, while others are not so small. That's why they have warranty and after sales service. 

Most headphones have mediocre driver matching and nobody notices, so you're probably good. Try to RMA for piece of mind, but good luck getting one if you can't demonstrate that it doesn't affect the sound.