Recover old version of Windows 7

Hi. So I'm trying to repair a PC i formated in like 2010 or 2009, but I have no longer the Windows 7 disc I used to format this PC then, so I've downloaded a new copy of Windows 7 SP1 x64, assuming that since it's a newer version it could fix the older one, which it didn't. It said: "This version of system recovery option is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair..." 

I've extracted the HDD and put it into another computer to have access to the files and stuffs. I do not want to fresh install windows again for it would be a pain in the ass trying to save all the data since it's not my pc and it's a mess.

How can I know what version of windows 7 the HDD has installed on, by checking the HDD from another computer using Windows 8?

o well, how can I fix this unknown Win7 version PC without the original disc and without formatting it?

You formatted it and used it as file storage? I don't think you can recover that anymore even with something like recuva.

It may be because you are using a home premium SKU on a pro install or vice versa. Check the license tag if you can and it will state the exact sku you need to try to use.

You formatted it and used it as file storage? I don't think you can recover that anymore even with something like recuva.

I have two partitions, originally one for the system and the other for documents, but its a 120GB HDD and now both have documents. There is not system backup. 

It may be because you are using a home premium SKU on a pro install or vice versa. Check the license tag if you can and it will state the exact sku you need to try to use.

That's the problem. I don't have the disc nor the package. I think I installed Ultimate the first time

So now both partitions have documents and original system from one of partitions is deleted?

You cant recover that

So now both partitions have documents and original system from one of partitions is deleted?

You cant recover that

No, what I mean is that the OS partition has both, system and user files, along with the other partition that only has user files. The system partition has files on the default folder (c:/users/user/user_folders...)

When i turn on the pc Windows tells me it needs to repair the OS but it failed on that task. Thats why I need the original disc, but i don't have it for I lost it. I think what I need is to find the current version of the system and I'm good to go.