Need Help with Audio Situation

xCaptKirk

I currently have a PS4 and newly build PC with and Asus Maximus motherboard.  The  audio that I've been using for years is the Astro A40/Mixamp setup. I tried using the A40's connected to rear panel and front panel audio and all I hear is constant hiss at high volume which turning down the volume eliminates this.  The microphone whoever just flat out sucks very quiet and sounds horrible.  If I connect the mixamp to the pc the mic sounds clear and perfect.  I'm needing a new headphone/mic or headset setup because my A40's have finally quit on me.  I want something that will work with both pc and ps4 but mainly pc.  Being how the a40's mic did sound good with the mixamp just tells me that the usb interface is the way to go for that.  I thought about getting Sennheiser G4me One's or Audio Technica AD700x or AD900x and a mod mic and keep using the mixamp.  Just wondering on what everyone's thoughts is and if maybe something can be done better.

Snip

What type of connection does the PS4 use for audio? And is it the same for the XBone?

USB and Optical for the Mixamp work fine.  On my pc is if use the 3.5 mm pc jacks front or rear the mic will not pick up unless I scream but if I unhook the mixamp from my ps4 and use that it works fine.  Just trying to figure out why the mic isn't working properly.  Talking normally and playing it back sound like a whisper when using the 3.5mm jacks.  Any way I've got to get new headphones and a mic or a headset now just not sure what to get.

What type of connection does the PS4 use for audio? And is it the same for the XBone?

The PS4 have a standard 3.5mm connector like the one used in phones, it takes standard headphones or headsets without problems.   Even the cheap headset that comes with most smartphones will work.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I currently have a PS4 and newly build PC with and Asus Maximus motherboard.  The  audio that I've been using for years is the Astro A40/Mixamp setup. I tried using the A40's connected to rear panel and front panel audio and all I hear is constant hiss at high volume which turning down the volume eliminates this.  The microphone whoever just flat out sucks very quiet and sounds horrible.  If I connect the mixamp to the pc the mic sounds clear and perfect.  I'm needing a new headphone/mic or headset setup because my A40's have finally quit on me.  I want something that will work with both pc and ps4 but mainly pc.  Being how the a40's mic did sound good with the mixamp just tells me that the usb interface is the way to go for that.  I thought about getting Sennheiser G4me One's or Audio Technica AD700x or AD900x and a mod mic and keep using the mixamp.  Just wondering on what everyone's thoughts is and if maybe something can be done better.

Look for a headset and then try to find the headphone equivalent of that headset then add the cost of the headphones and a mod mic to see what it comes to. 

Why do that rather than just jump for some headphones and a mod mic? Well, in my case it was cheaper to buy a headset (Beyerdynamic MMX300) rather than buying the equivalent set of headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 880) and a mod mic.

The problem is that when I connect a headset to my pc front or rear audio the microphone barely picks up.  The volume is at 100 percent.  I have to literally yell to get it to make the levels move.  It's realtek drivers.  If I use the mixamp I don't have those issues.  If I have to continue to use the mixamp what's the max headphone impedance I can use with these?