Cooling a MSI R9 290x Lightning

Trauma

Hello,

My wife got me an MSI R9 290X Lightning for my X-Mas but the cooler on this setup makes so much noise it gives me headaches.

I should notice, it is installed in a Silverstone RB01, which has its pro's and contra's.

But I think it is because of the way its mounted that it isn't cooled the way it expects. (vertical instead of horizontal)

So I'm looking for the most cost/effort efficient way to cool my GPU, so I can get the temperature, and ofcourse the noise down.

I noticed EK has some full enclosures for this card, but does it really need something like that?

And what are compatible alternatives?

I've been playing with pc's for over 20 years, als partly because it's my job, but this is the 1st time I ever felt the need for a watercooling because I just can't stand the noise.

(And ofcourse wouldn't want to hurt my wife's feelings and not use the card)

Any help would be appreciated.

That case looks like it has very little airflow to begin with..

How's your fan setup in the case?

I have 1x 120mm (silventwings 2) in the top and 2x 180mm (silverstone AP-181) above my PSU

And internally my case is ok, currently the inside is around 30°C and when I'm gaming it dares to climb to 40°C after a couple of hours. (Assassins Creed Unity and Dragon Age Inquisition)

Thats an odd case set up, looks nice though. It doesn't look to have much access to fresh air. 

If you're feeling adventurous you could mod in a small fan on the back of the case to blow air into the gpu :) 

Also, welcome to the forums!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Yes, this was my 1st topic ever, even though I've been scouting these forums for a couple of years.

So from what I read, my main issue truly is the case.

It would be with pain in my heart that I'd drill a hole in the back of this case, so I think I might just reassign its purpose and get myself a new one..  :P

But I'll test it 1st in a case I can borrow (an NZXT Phantom 630)

if that tends to go well, I might consider a Fractal Design R5 of BeQuiet Silent Base 800

(any suggestions would be welcome)

(ps: the way it turns out, it seems the watercooling forum seems to be the wrong place to have put this, so my apologies therefor)