High bit-rate stripping

interneteducated

I stripped the audio from a few videos at 128bit when the video's audio was only 16bit and the audio quality went up, is this normal and how does it work?

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

No such thing as 128 bit, so it doesn't. You probably mean 128 kbps, which is a bitrate, which is a function of bitdepth and sampling rate.

No such thing as 128 bit, so it doesn't. You probably mean 128 kbps, which is a bitrate, which is a function of bitdepth and sampling rate.

regardless the audio quality improved

regardless the audio quality improved

That's impossible, but if it makes you feel better, solid.

That's impossible, but if it makes you feel better, solid.

that's what i thought, but it still went up to to about 24kbps quality

Let SSL and I put it like this. 

You are at a party. 

You have a cake. 

As people eat the cake, the cake disappears. 

Once the cake is gone, its never coming back. 

Now bitrate is like the cake, once you lose that data, it doesn't magically come back. 

-snip- 

-snip-

Bit-depth and bit-rate are not the same...and guys, I know you like to be mean, but please cut it out this time. OP is legitimately ignorant.

Exactly, and I thought we handled that pretty nicely.

Edited by Blade of Grass

It doesn't really matter the type and number/specs of the files. What really matter is the quality of the sources from where those files are recorded. 

Let's try it this way:

I've uploaded a test file (in ZIP file), consists of 2 files of the same song http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=27422606229902951053

1. 1422 kbps, 192kHz FLAC file

2. 128 kbps VBR, 44kHz MP3 file

The FLAC file, albeit having very 'high spec', sounds absolutely horrible, because the source was shitty to begin with. With a shitty source, you can encode audio to super mighty ultra high specs (bit-rate, sample-rate, lossless, etc), but you won't get any benefit at all from all those specs.

The MP3 file, albeit having 'low spec', sounds normal, because the source was normal to begin with. Even if it's in a lossy compression, but because the source was decent, it still sound decent even after being degraded a bit by lossy format encoding.

Here's another analogy: if you fill an empty Camus XO bottle ($200 liquor bottle, btw) with water, the water won't be 'upgraded' just because the container is high class. The water is still water, it won't magically change into Camus. 

Bit-depth and bit-rate are not the same...and guys, I know you like to be mean, but please cut it out this time. OP is legitimately ignorant.

So putting on headphones and doing a side by side comparison is ignorant?

i used ApecSoft Audio Stripper and i'm just reporting what i heard from my headphones on my ears

i was hoping that someone had an explanation

So putting on headphones and doing a side by side comparison is ignorant?

i used ApecSoft Audio Stripper and i'm just reporting what i heard from my headphones on my ears

i was hoping that someone had an explanation

Yes because not only did you confuse bit-depth with bitrate, you also are claiming that ripping audio from it's video magically increases it's quality, which is impossible, you cannot have something better than the source.  Either you're not telling us important information or you're just tricking yourself into believing it.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I gave him a solid, simple analogy in the second comment, after that its no longer my problem till he makes a different statment to enforce or correct.

-snip- 

Edited by Blade of Grass

I gave him a solid, simple analogy in the second comment, after that its no longer my problem till he makes a different statment to enforce or correct

Dude calls OP ignorant, but we're the grinches; top forham logicks.

-snip-

Edited by Blade of Grass