Question about punctured radiator

So I posted awhile back about how I pierced my Alphacool Nexxos UT60 420mm radiator. I thought a screw went through it but it turns out the protective plate actually got pushed down into the radiator and tore a hole in the corner of it. 

So that would fall under the warranty correct? That plate shouldn't have got pushed down in the first place considering I didn't screw it down hard enough for it to do it. It seems like the plate wasn't strong like the other ones to take a screw being pushed into it. When I screw them in I stop as soon as I hear the plate but it seems like that one never stopped like all the other ones. 

I was using their screws on it if that means anything. 

So I posted awhile back about how I pierced my Alphacool Nexxos UT60 420mm radiator. I thought a screw went through it but it turns out the protective plate actually got pushed down into the radiator and tore a hole in the corner of it. 

So that would fall under the warranty correct? That plate shouldn't have got pushed down in the first place considering I didn't screw it down hard enough for it to do it. It seems like the plate wasn't strong like the other ones to take a screw being pushed into it. When I screw them in I stop as soon as I hear the plate but it seems like that one never stopped like all the other ones. 

I was using their screws on it if that means anything. 

Im not too sure if Alphacool (or most major companies) covers punctured radiator by personal use though. :/ Im sorry if this wasn't enough help for you.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Im not too sure if Alphacool covers punctured radiator by personal use though. :/ Im sorry if this wasn't enough help for you.

The one email I got back from them said it shouldn't have happened since that's why the plates are there. I thought a screw went through it at first till I checked it again to see where the leak was coming from and it was coming out in the corner behind where the screw goes. So the only thing that could have done it was the actual protective plate. 

Really hard to RMA something when they are in Germany and don't ever respond to you. I've got one reply from them in weeks of messaging them. 

The one email I got back from them said it shouldn't have happened since that's why the plates are there. I thought a screw went through it at first till I checked it again to see where the leak was coming from and it was coming out in the corner behind where the screw goes. So the only thing that could have done it was the actual protective plate. 

Really hard to RMA something when they are in Germany and don't ever respond to you. I've got one reply from them in weeks of messaging them. 

Woah. Where did you buy it from? Did you get it directly from Alphacool, or some other e-tailers?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Woah. Where did you buy it from? Did you get it directly from Alphacool, or some other e-tailers?

I got FrozenCPU but they aren't much help. They said I can send it in to see where it's punctured at my expense but they won't tell me if they will RMA it either way. 

No point paying shipping if they have no intentions of ever doing the replacement. 

To complicate matters further, I no longer need a 420mm radiator since I bought one right after it happened so I could complete my build. Now I'm trying to see if they would exchange it for a 360mm radiator instead since I can fit one of those in my case. 

I got FrozenCPU but they aren't much help. They said I can send it in to see where it's punctured at my expense but they won't tell me if they will RMA it either way. 

No point paying shipping if they have no intentions of ever doing the replacement. 

To complicate matters further, I no longer need a 420mm radiator since I bought one right after it happened so I could complete my build. Now I'm trying to see if they would exchange it for a 360mm radiator instead since I can fit one of those in my case. 

Oh. Is it deeply punctured? Have you tried to solder it back together? Was it the fins that got messed up, or was it one of the tubes?

Oh. Is it deeply punctured? Have you tried to solder it back together? Was it the fins that got messed up, or was it one of the tubes?

It gushes water pretty bad. I can't actually see how bad it is unless I ripped the cover off to see it. As far as I can tell it's just the fins. 

I can't do a patch job on it since I don't have a soldering iron.

It gushes water pretty bad. I can't actually see how bad it is unless I ripped the cover off to see it. As far as I can tell it's just the fins. 

I can't do a patch job on it since I don't have a soldering iron.

Oh. Duct tape fixes everything, jk. I wonder if you can super glue it back together... Will it damage the radiator if you tried to overlap one a perfect fin over the damaged spots and super glued it back?

We need more replies! Im running out of ideas, guys.

Sorry Nuggets. I'm not much help here. :(

Oh. Duct tape fixes everything, jk. I wonder if you can super glue it back together... Will it damage the radiator if you tried to overlap one a perfect fin over the damaged spots and super glued it back?

I think the fins actually got torn apart so I doubt I could fix it. Problem is, I can't even get to it without pulling the cover off which I'm not sure how to do. Don't want to damage it even further in case they agree to do a RMA. 

I just talked to FrozenCPU and they said I need to get approval from Alphacool first before they can do anything. Now it's just a matter of getting them to reply back to me. 

I think the fins actually got torn apart so I doubt I could fix it. Problem is, I can't even get to it without pulling the cover off which I'm not sure how to do. Don't want to damage it even further in case they agree to do a RMA. 

I just talked to FrozenCPU and they said I need to get approval from Alphacool first before they can do anything. Now it's just a matter of getting them to reply back to me. 

Most radiators' core are soldered to the shroud itself, so you cant take it apart... The only 2 rads I know where you can like take the core and shroud apart are the XSPC AX series, and the Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System.

I know this is COMPLETELY off topic, but where do you suppose Slick can find me on the Forums? He has viewed my profile today... I think he's into watercooling, too...

Latest Visitors

I know this is COMPLETELY off topic, but where do you suppose Slick can find me on the Forums? He has viewed my profile today... I think he's into watercooling, too...

Latest Visitors

What do you mean find you? Just send him a message if you want to talk to him. 

What do you mean find you? Just send him a message if you want to talk to him. 

No, I never knew that he would go to my profile page. 

He's a stalker lol

He doesnt sleep... no wonder.

If you punctured your radiator you can't RMA because its your fault and you can't use it. Sorry.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you punctured your radiator you can't RMA because its your fault and you can't use it. Sorry.

I could understand that statement if I put a screw through it or damaged it another way. However, it was their protective plate that pierced it. I still don't understand how it was even possible for it to happen. The plate would go straight down if a screw pushed on it but that's not what happened. 

It was actually the very back of the plate where the leak is. Meaning, it shouldn't have been pushed down from a screw. Like I said, I have no idea how it looks since I can't take the case off the radiator. I filled it up with water and saw where it was gushing out but I cant see the damage. 

At any rate, not sure what to think. If I put a screw through it I wouldn't even try to RMA it but I didn't do that. I figure I'll try to replace it and the worst that will happen is they won't. Not really a big deal at this point since I already bought another one. I just want to see what they will do before I trash it since it's just sitting here collecting dust. 

At any rate, not sure what to think. If I put a screw through it I wouldn't even try to RMA it but I didn't do that. I figure I'll try to replace it and the worst that will happen is they won't. Not really a big deal at this point since I already bought another one. I just want to see what they will do before I trash it since it's just sitting here collecting dust. 

Try to sell it for the value of the metal at least if you're going to throw it out. ;)

You might get a few bucks on eBay even if you sell it as damaged.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

try using a plumbing sealant to seal the puncture, its fairly cheap and could work. worth a shot if you're just going to bin the thing.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

try using a plumbing sealant to seal the puncture, its fairly cheap and could work. worth a shot if you're just going to bin the thing.

I might give it a shot if they won't RMA it. I'd have to peak the casing back to get to it so Thats why I want to wait. Might end up destroying it in the process.

I might give it a shot if they won't RMA it. I'd have to peak the casing back to get to it so Thats why I want to wait. Might end up destroying it in the process.

just take your time with it and you should be fine, use plenty of sealant, it will block air from going through that part of the rad but it should allow the rest of the rad to work.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

how about going to an automotive radiator repair place?  I did that with my motorcycle and it worked just fine.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

how about going to an automotive radiator repair place?  I did that with my motorcycle and it worked just fine.

This. Do you know any car shops, Fluffy? Try to go to them and ask if they can repair your radiator. They wont know what's coming! xD