Need a amp for 250 ohm DT990 pro!

HyperBlue

Hello,

I need an amp for my 250 ohm DT990 pro headphones which I have just purchased, I have a Asus Xonar DGX sound card.

This amp will be primarily used for gaming and music (gaming I want an immersive experience while music I listen to dubstep, alternative rock and pop), I want a amp which is sufficient and not overkill for a frequent gamer, my budget is around £100 but I may be able to go a little over if need be.

Keeping in mind that I do not need the amp to be mobile (it will be on my PC desk) and I live in the UK what amp would be the best for me?

Thanks.

objective 2 amp

fiio e10, fiio e17 + e9

schiit  magni or modi (ones an amp, ones a dac. I cant remember which is which)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

nice headphones, as far as amps go the only one i have is a sherwood newcastle r-325rds 520W. its capaple to power headphones up to 1600mw, it also able to drive headphone from 5 to 1000ohms. even thou this is a home audio/video receiver i do use my headphones on it, i have a pair of sony MDR-ZX300 headphones able to handle 1000mw and at 25ohms specs here http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hpo-classic/mdr-zx300/technical-specifications#tab

my suggestion would be to get a integrated amp, prices vary, but will have 2 purposes. you could use it to power speakers and listen to your music in best quality and when you wanted to listen with your headphones you could plug them in. a proper amp would power those headphones well and a decent 200w amp would have the drive and ohmage to power your headphones.

i dont know if this answers your question, but i hope its helps

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

You can just use the DGX if you can't afford a new amp right away.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Yeah, the DGX should be just fine. 

You can just use the DGX if you can't afford a new amp right away.

Is £100 not sufficient enough?

£100 I see as a bit steep for an amplifier in the first place and have no desire to buy an expensive amplifier.

Is £100 not sufficient enough?

£100 I see as a bit steep for an amplifier in the first place and have no desire to buy an expensive amplifier.

Sure, you can get whatever you'd like, I'm only suggesting what you already have is sufficient, so why buy something else you don't even need?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Sure, you can get whatever you'd like, I'm only suggesting what you already have is sufficient, so why buy something else you don't even need?

I think what h264 is trying to say is, the DGX has a built-in headphone amp, so you do not need to add another amplifier onto the back of that signal. It might even make the sound worse.

The only reason you need a discrete amplifier is when your DAC is also external.

Fiio e10 would be perfectly fine, as would modi/magni and o2/odac, but these are only worth it if you plan on upgrading in the near future.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Fiio e10 would be perfectly fine, as would modi/magni and o2/odac, but these are only worth it if you plan on upgrading in the near future.

So are you saying that for my headphones an amp is simply not needed?

So are you saying that for my headphones an amp is simply not needed?

I think we're saying you already have one in your soundcard and you do not need another one since you're buying high impedance headphones.

I think we're saying you already have one in your soundcard and you do not need another one since you're buying high impedance headphones.

Ehm, it's when you got high impedance that you need high higher voltage to drive them, and that's when you might want a good amp. He might not be able to fully take advantage of his new headphones with his DGX (I don't really know much about that soundcard so maybe I am completely wrong here).

Anyway, I am not sure how good the amp in the Xonar DGX is, but if you are not satisfied with it and your budget is ~100 pounds then check out the FiiO E10. It should be quite a bit better than the DGX in terms of the DAC, the amp as well as potential interference from your other components.

Ehm, it's when you got high impedance that you need high higher voltage to drive them, and that's when you might want a good amp. He might not be able to fully take advantage of his new headphones with his DGX (I don't really know much about that soundcard so maybe I am completely wrong here).

Anyway, I am not sure how good the amp in the Xonar DGX is, but if you are not satisfied with it and your budget is ~100 pounds then check out the FiiO E10. It should be quite a bit better than the DGX in terms of the DAC, the amp as well as potential interference from your other components.

I can personally attest it's loud enough with room to spare for the dt 990s

Hello,

I need an amp for my 250 ohm DT990 pro headphones which I have just purchased, I have a Asus Xonar DGX sound card.

This amp will be primarily used for gaming and music (gaming I want an immersive experience while music I listen to dubstep, alternative rock and pop), I want a amp which is sufficient and not overkill for a frequent gamer, my budget is around £100 but I may be able to go a little over if need be.

Keeping in mind that I do not need the amp to be mobile (it will be on my PC desk) and I live in the UK what amp would be the best for me?

Thanks.

Why not setup to a Xonar Stx then? It can drive Headphones up to 300Ohms and has a very very good sound quality and you can change the Op Amps.