No Flow From Pump/Res Combo

Just finished putting together my first custom loop, disconnected everything from the motherboard except the EK D5 Pump/Res Combo, filled it near the top jumperd the power supply, and nothing happened.

I checked fittings for leaks, tubing for kinks, but it all seems ok. 

What am I missing? Is this a faulty part?

Any help would be great, thanks

I mean.... I have to ask but.. Is the pump plugged in to the power supply? Loose connection?

I mean.... I have to ask but.. Is the pump plugged in to the power supply? Loose connection?

I only had the 4-pin to the motherboard plugged in. Plugged in the Molex, and I can now hear the pump working, and water moving, but it seems to be draining the res very slowly

It's now not flowing at all again. I can hear the pump going, but the water just sounds like its moving around inside the res, and not entering the loop. It shouldn't matter that my outlet is a straight tubing run to the first rad, should it?

My loop goes: Pump/Res->Top mounted rad->CPU->GPU->Front mounted rad->Pump/res, all inside a Define R4

It's now not flowing at all again. I can hear the pump going, but the water just sounds like its moving around inside the res, and not entering the loop. It shouldn't matter that my outlet is a straight tubing run to the first rad, should it?

My loop goes: Pump/Res->Top mounted rad->CPU->GPU->Front mounted rad->Pump/res, all inside a Define R4

is your pump a variable speed pump? If it is then check my post above

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29627

This is the combo I bought. It doesn't seem to be variable speed.

It's a variable speed pump. Pwm means it's controllable. Check if there is something on the back that you can adjust and see if that works

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

It's a variable speed pump. Pwm means it's controllable. Check if there is something on the back that you can adjust and see if that works

I pulled the res out, and saw nothing except the housing screws for the pump. They were all ball-ended screws. Do I have to remove the housing to get to the switch?

hmm I'm just going to do some research on the pump then I will let you know

Thanks. I just tried the pump again, and it emptied about half of the water into the loop, but when I turned it off, refilled it and tried again, it was back to no water moving. 

I have that res but with a vario d5. I'm pretty sure you can control that pump via a motherboard header adjust the speed via bios.

I have that res but with a vario d5. I'm pretty sure you can control that pump via a motherboard header adjust the speed via bios.

I haven't got my ssd connected. I thought you only ran the pump and reservoir while filling/priming the system? But would the pump just show up as "case fan 3" in the bios if I used the ssd?

You don't need your ssd connected? O.o Anyways, normally you only run the pump and reservoir. Sounds like you have an air bubble or something. Can you make res the highest point in your loop? Like make the front end of your PC higher by putting something like thick books under the front so the water travels more into your rads and etc? Then turn it on to force the air out. That way you get no backflow or less of it when you shut the pump off. I have no experience with the vario so I don't know how it runs when just plainly turned on. If it runs you could at least get it to cycle.

You don't need your ssd connected? O.o Anyways, normally you only run the pump and reservoir. Sounds like you have an air bubble or something. Can you make res the highest point in your loop? Like make the front end of your PC higher by putting something like thick books under the front so the water travels more into your rads and etc? Then turn it on to force the air out. That way you get no backflow or less of it when you shut the pump off. I have no experience with the vario so I don't know how it runs when just plainly turned on. If it runs you could at least get it to cycle.

I'm only running the pump/res combo right now. Everything else is disconnected. I thought the only requirement was for the res to be before the pump? I'll try raising the front of the pc, though. The pump in my pump/res combo is not variable speed. 

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109840764.pdf

Looking at the pumps in Step 2, I have no dial on the back of my pump

I'm only running the pump/res combo right now. Everything else is disconnected. I thought the only requirement was for the res to be before the pump? I'll try raising the front of the pc, though. The pump in my pump/res combo is not variable speed. 

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109840764.pdf

Looking at the pumps in Step 2, I have no dial on the back of my pump

it is a variable speed pump through the green PWM wire of the harness.

the blue is the tach and both are to be plugged into your motherboard fan header

for control. the impeller may be wedged in the housing. if the o-ring in the socket

is too thin or the assembly is compressed, the impeller can be stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

to be plugged into your motherboard fan header

for control. the impeller may be wedged in the housing. if the o-ring in the socket

is too thin or the assembly is compressed, the impeller can be stuck.

I've sped up and slowed down the pump, but there was no change. How do I check the impeller? 

Like make the front end of your PC higher by putting something like thick books under the front so the water travels more into your rads and etc? Then turn it on to force the air out. 

I've raised the front end, and SOME water ran into the loop, and I heard it hit the bottom of the front rad, but it stopped flowing after that

Are you sure that you have the RES connected to the INLET of the D5 pump housing and not the OUTLET....  ;)

Nevermind, you have the dual bay res combo, fauly pump, return to seller and get a fresh one. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Are you sure that you have the RES connected to the INLET of the D5 pump housing and not the OUTLET....  ;)

The top port (Outlet) runs from the res to the top rad, and the bottom port (Inlet) runs from the front rad up to the res.

The top port (Outlet) runs from the res to the top rad, and the bottom port (Inlet) runs from the front rad up to the res.

Edited my post when I saw the pdf you linked too, your pics made it look like you mounted the D5 to a tube res.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd