How is an Anti-Static Wrist Strap used?

TorguL

So do i just clip it onto the metal part of the case and that should discharge all the static on me? Some say that you gotta plug in a psu also... how does that work? Is it not enough just connecting it to some metal? Someone please clarify this... thanks.

Ignore.

#editing

Connect clip it on to a psu (A fan grill or something), Then plug it in and switch it off.

hello

You can ground yourself with anything that is grounded.... the psu thing only works with a outlet that is grounded.

You can grund yourself with a heating/water pipe or anything else that's metal and in the grund :D

Connect clip it on to a psu (A fan grill or something), Then plug it in and switch it off.

fist make sure its switched off

fist make sure its switched off

Please make sure it is switched off unless you want a shocking surprise 

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY

Switch the psu off and from the wall socket aswell?

You can ground yourself with anything that is grounded.... the psu thing only works with a outlet that is grounded.

You can grund yourself with a heating/water pipe or anything else that's metal and in the grund :D

How do i know if my outlet is grounded or not? :s

Switch the psu off and from the wall socket aswell?

If you disconnect it from the wall socket, it cannot discharge your static to the ground, since it is not connected to anything but you.

So switch it off but leave it plugged in.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Yes turn off the power outlet. Also disconnect your house from the electricity net, and shut down your local power plant while you're at it.

It's not rocket science, connect it to something conductive and you're fine :p

How do i know if my outlet is grounded or not? :s

The PSU plug only fits in grounded outlets, it's what he said

The PSU plug only fits in grounded outlets, it's what he said

eh...no?! Every outlet works without grounding wire and there are many badly wired outlets or just old householdes without grounding at all. you can't assume that every outlet is grounded

eh...no?! Every outlet works without grounding wire and there are many badly wired outlets or just old householdes without grounding at all. you can't assume that every outlet is grounded

''the psu thing only works with a outlet that is grounded.'' Is exactly what you said, or have I misunderstood?

Even if it's not grounded it will still work though. Touching something made out of metal is enough to ground yourself even, no need for overcomplicated stuff

''the psu thing only works with a outlet that is grounded.'' Is exactly what you said, or have I misunderstood?

Even if it's not grounded it will still work though. Touching something made out of metal is enough to ground yourself even, no need for overcomplicated stuff

Pretty much this. I don't even use a wrist strap when working in my computer. Its as simple as touching anything metal to discharge any built up static and repeat every so often when moving around. For the wrist strap, just pin it to metal in your computer case or some sort of metal nearby. Like Salmiakbal said, no need to over think it.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro