High Temps on Custom Loop

I built a custom loop about a year ago from the xspc ex 240 d5 kit and added 2 780ti's in addition to my 2600k. Having added 2 graphics cards to the loop, I also added an Alpha cool 60mm 280 rad in push-pull. From the general guidlines I've heard (120+120 per component) I should have more than enough. My CPU temps when gaming get into the high 70's to low 80's at stock clocks and voltages. Seems really high to me. The GPUs stay right around 50-60 depending on the game being played. Are my temps high or am I just being paranoid?

How old is your thermal paste on the cpu? It might need to be replaced.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

you should be replacing the fluid in a custom loop every 6 months

also replace your thermal paste on the CPU

the CPU temps are high but GPUs are ok

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The loop is only like 6 months old. I can reseat the cpu block and see if that helps.

And as an off topic question, there seems to be white flakes in my loop as well that chill at the top of my res. Any ideas what these are?

The flakes could be nickle plating coming off of your blocks I would probably flush my system and redo the thermal paste to see of that helps. 

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

the flakes could also be the plasticizer from the tubing used.

sounds like you have an air pocket in the CPU block prolly just over the main

core area. got a picture of the loop?

the flakes could also be the plasticizer from the tubing used.

sounds like you have an air pocket in the CPU block prolly just over the main

core area. got a picture of the loop?

Dang I never even thought of a air pocket in the block itself

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Dang I never even thought of a air pocket in the block itself

pretty common if the reservoir is lower than the CPU. trapped air hates to travel

downward, but loves to go up and if no relief, it hangs out in the CPU block.

I had never thought about that. I'll see if I can whip something up to try and fix that.

Bad image of my loop taken with my iPhone:

vT00LBx.jpg

So I thought I had found the problem when I took apart my loop and cleaned everything. I cleaned out the cpu block that was completely gunked up, replaced the fluid and thermal paste on the cpu,and 2 gpu block with MX4. Flushed the rads for 24 hours on a simple loop with some vinegar water. Got everything re-installed and booted up. Played some games and same problem. Also sorry for the very large pictures. Not sure how to make them smaller.

QDOs4hA.jpg?1

Same as before actually, the idle is just a little bit lower.

yeppers, i'd believe that is the problem. so how are the temps now?

My gaming temps are higher than my prime95 tests. I'm very confused.

@Gunther78

totally backwards.. 

how much coolant was used?

If I had to guess? liter-liter and a half. 150ml res, 3 blocks, 280x60mm 240x30mm.

I know the loop is thourougly bled as well. I actually bled it while my case was sideways so the res was the highest point. pump has been running on an external power supply for ~2 days

1.5L sounds right. could be an airlock in the upper GPU no allowing full flow to

the CPU. the coolant in the res is swirling like mad? swirling? meh, moving?

pump at 12v? fans at 12v?

loop order (guessing) is:

res>pump>280>GPU (parallel)>CPU>ex240>res

1.5L sounds right. could be an airlock in the upper GPU no allowing full flow to

the CPU. the coolant in the res is swirling like mad? swirling? meh, moving?

pump at 12v? fans at 12v?

loop order (guessing) is:

res>pump>280>GPU (parallel)>CPU>ex240>res

Coolant isn't moving because the res is full. Good guess on the loop order. Pump is a D5 vario at 4. All the fans run at ~800rpm. The 280 is in push pull. Here's what I get after ~15 min of Dragon Age: Inquisition. The temps just keep rising until they level out in the upper 70's.

FojVXA7.jpg?1

on 4 that coolant should be jetting around in the res (if there isn't an air pocket).

might try this:

no power on system

lay pc on back

with rag/towel close by, slightly break the seal on the GPU stop plugs

(4-top ones, none of the side ones) till a drop appears. if the plug comes off and

nothing comes out, you have an airlock. has happend to me before.

on 4 that coolant should be jetting around in the res (if there isn't an air pocket).

might try this:

no power on system

lay pc on back

with rag/towel close by, slightly break the seal on the GPU stop plugs

(4-top ones, none of the side ones) till a drop appears. if the plug comes off and

nothing comes out, you have an airlock. has happend to me before.

Just did that. Slightly broke the seal and water came out on all 4 immediately. 

@Gunther78

k,

since the res is full, power off, rotate case onto its roof, observe res, if bubble

appears return to normal and power pump. if no bubble appears, burp power

to pump for 1/2 sec or less.

the only thing that does concern me is the little aerator fitting in the bottom res

cap. this should be on the top and not on the feed side of the pump. the holes

are sooo small and restrictive. ok for return to hold pressure in the feed lines,

but not direct pump feed.

@Gunther78

k,

since the res is full, power off, rotate case onto its roof, observe res, if bubble

appears return to normal and power pump. if no bubble appears, burp power

to pump for 1/2 sec or less.

the only thing that does concern me is the little aerator fitting in the bottom res

cap. this should be on the top and not on the feed side of the pump. the holes

are sooo small and restrictive. ok for return to hold pressure in the feed lines,

but not direct pump feed.

I can drain it and remove that then, see if it helps. The flow is very slow, I drained a little bit out to observe it.

@Gunther78

should have the Z tube/aquatube for the inlet of the res.

WAAU_119_2.jpg

I do have an aquapipe. Works great. I removed the little airator cap and its a little noisier now and the flow isn't what i would call rocketing out of the tube.